Win 2008 Server Disk (Space) Maintenance

gimp

[H]F Junkie
What does everybody else do in terms of hdd space maintenance on their 2k8 boxes?

I'm trying to do some disk cleanup on one of my Server 2k8 boxes, and not having much luck...

2008 being different from previous versions of Windows (no hotfix uninstallers located in C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKBxxxxxx), how do you clean up your Server 2k8 installs?

Not knowing any better at the time, I created the OS partition to have 20 gigs, thinking that should be plentiful (this particular server only does backups for a facility via BackupExec, Data partition stores some shares for IT use).

I did not realize, at the time of building the server, just how much damn hdd space updates take up, and continue to take up, without being able to reclaim any of that space.

Well, after installing all of today's updates, I'm down to 500MB free space on the OS partition.

I did manage to get the disk cleanup utility working (seriously Microsoft, I have to install the "Desktop Experience Pack" on a fucking server to get the Disk Cleanup Utility, along with Windows Media Player and other shit that has no need on a server?) but when I ran it, it would clean up less than 1 meg.

Looking for comments from other 2k8 admins who deal with this, and if anybody has any hints/tips/tricks since I haven't had much luck finding any.

I tend to over estimate how much storage I need. Is there room to expand that partition or could you image the OS to a larger drive/partition?

I tend to over estimate how much storage I need. Is there room to expand that partition or could you image the OS to a larger drive/partition?

well, for now, I may work with it until it about dies.

I would have to transfer ~100gb worth of stuff to another server, so I could delete the data partition, extend the primary partition, recreate the data partition, and copy all the crap back + reconfigure the shares.

it's not that it's a huge deal just yet, especially since the server isn't that critical. Was just curious if anybody has came up with a way to clear out useless crap (ie, patch uninstallers), as my google-fu has been weak apparently. Or it's because there just is no way to clear it up anymore.

Back