Win 11 22H2: safeguard hold?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So when trying to use the Upgrade assistant, stopped me with an error saying this:

The Safeguard holds affecting your device page shows known issues impacting your device and temporarily preventing it from upgrading to Windows 11 because of one or more safeguard holds.

I have no idea what it means and can't find any specific info on it. You guys have any insight?

"Safeguard holds prevent a device with a known issue from being offered a new operating system version. We renew the offering once a fix is found and verified. We use holds to ensure customers have a successful experience as their device moves to a new version of Windows"

your system has a known (to ms) incompatibility so it is stopping you from borking your system.

I would unplug your main drives, install a spare drive, do a test install of 22H2 and see for yourself if everything works okay or not. It might be something really really stupid holding things up. If the test goes well, many of the bypass methods used to install Windows 11 on unsupported systems will also work to bypass the safeguard hold.

I would unplug your main drives, install a spare drive, do a test install of 22H2 and see for yourself if everything works okay or not. It might be something really really stupid holding things up. If the test goes well, many of the bypass methods used to install Windows 11 on unsupported systems will also work to bypass the safeguard hold.
How do I bypass it?

How do I bypass it?

Well there are about 100 different ways, but the way I've personally used to manually upgrade all my Windows 11 computers to 22H2 has been a very simple and straightforward method that does not require any 3rd party tools.

1. Obtain a copy of the latest Windows 11 ISO (22H2), and also obtain a copy of the latest Windows 10 64-bit ISO. You can do this by downloading each ISO directly or creating them using the respective media creation tools. Download Pro or Home, depending on what OS license you have.
2. Copy the contents of the Windows 11 ISO to a folder on your hard drive.
3. Open the Windows 10 ISO, and inside the Sources folder you will see a file called "appraiserres.dll". Copy that file, and paste it into the Sources folder of the Windows 11 install files that you copied to your hard drive in the previous step (Replace the file with the same name that is already there).
4. Start Windows 11 setup.

This file, "appraiserres.dll", basically dictates the installation requirements, and is what the installer uses early during the setup process to determine if you can proceed. By replacing the file with the equivalent file from Windows 10, you are basically installing Windows 11 using Windows 10 system requirements.

Back