Win 10 upgrade problems.

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
I recently upgraded one of my other PC & now have a 120g SSD drive that I want to put win 10 on for my 3rd string PC. I reformated & installed win7 home twice & got it activated & all the latest updates.I runs flawless & is the only drive currently hooked up besides the DVD burner.

I copied the win 10 home ISO over to a thumb drive ( I used this same thumb drive to update my laptop to Win 10 so I know it works) & when I try to update to win 10 it tells me I need 2 gig of ram. I have 4 sticks of 2 gig in each slot & all 8 gig show up in Win 7. I've taken ram out, moved ram around, even tried just 1 2 gig stick but no luck.

The MB is this http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=428 & the Proc is this AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Socket AM3 95W HDX925WFK4DGM Desktop. The whole pc has been running fine before the switch over,

Google don't bring up much info & I've tried some of their suggestions with no luck.
Hopefully one of you guys can offer some different suggestions that I haven't tried.

Thanks in advance.

I'd start by making sure the firmware of the motherboard is current. I know you said that you installed the latest updated, but usually that doesn't include firmware.

I've noticed Windows 10 can be picky about older hardware. When I was using it my machine wouldn't sleep automatically, and driver support for the motherboard was cut off after 8.1, so I rolled back to 7 (personal distaste for the data mining that happens in 10 aside).

Phenom II stuff is 3-4 years older than the setup I'm running now. It may be best just to upgrade to 8.1 and call it a day for that older box.

Ok I have an update. I went to Biostar's website looking for a BIOS update. All they had listed was 2 bios. The one I had was dated 09 & the other one dated 2010. I thought what the hell & flashed the bios over to the 2010 one & bingo Win 10 installed like a champ.

Who would have figured that a bios dated 5 yrs ago would solve a install problem 5 yrs into the future.

Thanks for all the replys.

Back