Win 10 updates- trying to update nonexistent device

So I have win 10 pro, and back when I installed it I had an HD7870 in and drivers were installed for it. I switched to a GTX 970 last week and did a "full" removal of amd software, and then installed nvidia drivers.

Everything works fine but now I go to windows update it wants to install new 7870 drivers- says it has an updated driver to install, this is a new driver update that came through in the past day or two. No updates for the past week had anything to do with the radeon. Any way to tell windows to forget about this old device?

If you already tried using ddu uninstaller and still have issues then thats a good question

I would install it. :D I doubt it will cause any problems and maybe you can then uninstall it.

Did you ever actually uninstall/remove the card from Device Manager? I do think most of the driver uninstallers do this because they are typically used by those wanting to do a clean install of a new driver - not replace a card.

Open Device Manager and select View->Show hidden devices. Then see if the HD7870 is listed anywhere. If it is delete/uninstall it and reboot.

I suggest making sure you look under Display Adapters and under Sound, video and game controllers at a minimum because a lot of graphics cards report themselves as multiple devices for things like HDMI audio support.

it seemed to me that the ati software was completely gone, all program folders were deleted. there may have been a registry entry still left, and DDU seemed to resolve it. It detected 2 display devices, amd and nvidia. I chose the amd one and to uninstall and reboot.

I did so and the win update was still there- so i chose to install- it gave an error and i clicked retry. It went back to the update home screen and disappeared, no more ati software when i choose to check for updates!

Back