Win 10 system restore keeps turning back on

misterbobby

2[H]4U
I did a clean Win 10 install a week ago and disabled system restore as I dont want to use it. I noticed later that same day that it was back on so again I turned it off. Well its turned itself back on at least two more times after that. Any ideas?

Mine is doing the same thing now that you mention it. I just set it and forget it and havent looked back since! I wonder what other settings I changed to off magically turned back on!

Mine is doing the same thing.. Might just have to go back to Windows 7, after all.

W10 has a mind of its own and pretty much does what it wants. I installed the latest preview build last night and it absolutely uninstalled Norton Internet Security--OK, some of you will say that was a good thing but I paid hard cash for Norton. It is one thing to uninstall a driver or free program or change settings but removing something that cost money is another story. Realize the tech previews are a world of their own and things are expected to break and be changed but have an idea MS can do the same thing anytime it chooses to any program or setting.

W10 has a mind of its own and pretty much does what it wants. I installed the latest preview build last night and it absolutely uninstalled Norton Internet Security--OK, some of you will say that was a good thing but I paid hard cash for Norton. It is one thing to uninstall a driver or free program or change settings but removing something that cost money is another story. Realize the tech previews are a world of their own and things are expected to break and be changed but have an idea MS can do the same thing anytime it chooses to any program or setting.

MCP has deprioritzed all users. Brave New World! :eek:

I ran a program called Windows Ultimate Tweaker and it turned on System restore automatically.

Windows 10 by default has System Restore off. I've actually found it to be a life saver on several occasions over the years with different versions of Windows, including Windows 10. My brother-in-law had the power go out a few weeks ago after I'd upgraded his PC to 10 and something wonky happened, missing tiles and apps not working properly. Fortunately I turned on System Restore after the upgrade and when this happened I ran a System Restore and everything was fixed.

I personally have System Restore turned on some of my devices and not on others and haven't noticed anything flipping.

Ya Windows 10 has that bug where it ignores your settings after a few days or weeks and reverts back to default. I've noticed that with a lot of check boxes becoming unchecked or checked. The System Restore I've disabled at least 3 times since July.

Windows 10 by default has System Restore off. I've actually found it to be a life saver on several occasions over the years with different versions of Windows, including Windows 10. My brother-in-law had the power go out a few weeks ago after I'd upgraded his PC to 10 and something wonky happened, missing tiles and apps not working properly. Fortunately I turned on System Restore after the upgrade and when this happened I ran a System Restore and everything was fixed.

I personally have System Restore turned on some of my devices and not on others and haven't noticed anything flipping.

glad it worked for you, but its nice to have choice, instead being forced what MS think its right.

I turned off system restore 3 times on one of my windows 10 boxes, if i turned it off I want it off.

glad it worked for you, but its nice to have choice, instead being forced what MS think its right.

I turned off system restore 3 times on one of my windows 10 boxes, if i turned it off I want it off.

But this is off by default with a clean install. I have it turned on three systems, on another 7 I've left it off and it's not come on. Obviously what you're experiencing isn't correct. I've not tried turning it off to see if it says off yet.

But this is off by default with a clean install. I have it turned on three systems, on another 7 I've left it off and it's not come on. Obviously what you're experiencing isn't correct. I've not tried turning it off to see if it says off yet.
Well it must not be off by default otherwise I along with the others here would never have had to turn it off in the first place...

Turing that off is one of the first things I do after my system is up and running with all drivers and it indeed was on when I went there.

Ya Windows 10 has that bug where it ignores your settings after a few days or weeks and reverts back to default. I've noticed that with a lot of check boxes becoming unchecked or checked. The System Restore I've disabled at least 3 times since July.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Microsoft knows best, just STFU and be happy.

Exactly, in the next major update all PC settings will be controlled by MS, and the Control Panel will completely disappear, because they know better than someone with 20+ years or more of computing experience. /s

Seriously, fuck Win10

Back