Win 10 Oct 27 patches hosed AMD Drivers?

DedEmbryonicCe11

[H]ard|Gawd
Earlier this week I did a clean install of 10.2 hotfix drivers after using DDU in Safe Mode. After installing the critical security patches last night and rebooting I experienced some minor graphical glitches (random colored garbage in horizontal bands) while browsing the web. I checked my video cable (it had loosened itself earlier in the week) and thought nothing of it. Fired up Skyrim Special Edition to the main menu and hear my cat crying so I went downstairs to give her water. When I got back in my room the screen was black with the monitor light turned amber to indicate no signal. The main menu music from Skyrim was still playing... Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Alt-Tab, etc nothing would get the driver to recover so I had to shutdown the system. Upon rebooting the login for windows was constantly strobing to a solid grey screen. Even if I managed to login I would see the desktop for a split second then it would turn all black except for popup errors saying Radeon settings (among other drivers) had crashed. Cold boot, hot boot, nothing would get me in until the third(?) time I made it to the desktop Windows reverted itself to the "basic driver". I safe booted from DDU to clear out the AMD drivers and installed yesterday's 10.3 hotfix drivers. Now Skyrim SE is running quite fine I just tested getting through the intro and escaping from Helgen.:grumpy: I hope my case is an outlier here but I still need to test more games and make sure everything is 100% normal again.

I had a bad win 10 install, gave all kinds of issues. But seems fine after reinstalling last week. Played Skyrim SE last night with no issues, well except for having to enable my Xbox controller, somehow it wasn't showing in device manager till I unplugged and replugged.

Hmmm, so far, I have not had any issues as of yet. I have the 16.6 installed at work through the Windows updates and 16.10.2 installed at home. I also have an R9 380 at work and a mGPU setup with 2 x Sapphire Furys at home. Last month, I did have the machine going black and restarted without any BSOD because of a flash player / driver issue. (I have not experienced that since then, however.)

I assume you are on 10586 build since you are using the 16.3 drivers, right?

Hmmm, so far, I have not had any issues as of yet. I have the 16.6 installed at work through the Windows updates and 16.10.2 installed at home. I also have an R9 380 at work and a mGPU setup with 2 x Sapphire Furys at home. Last month, I did have the machine going black and restarted without any BSOD because of a flash player / driver issue. (I have not experienced that since then, however.)

I assume you are on 10586 build since you are using the 16.3 drivers, right?

Newest Win 10 64 and a RX 480. When Wattman crashes it black screens the PC and resets the voltage to stock. Wattman is so special that it doesn't know how to reset the core speed to stock if it's going to reset the voltage. You can just imagine all the fun that causes when your card is OC'd to 1460 or so and suddenly you're on stock voltage. I literally have to hold the power button and hard reset my PC to get use of it again.

Newest Win 10 64 and a RX 480. When Wattman crashes it black screens the PC and resets the voltage to stock. Wattman is so special that it doesn't know how to reset the core speed to stock if it's going to reset the voltage. You can just imagine all the fun that causes when your card is OC'd to 1460 or so and suddenly you're on stock voltage. I literally have to hold the power button and hard reset my PC to get use of it again.

What happens if you just reset Wattman and use MSI afterburner instead?

What happens if you just reset Wattman and use MSI afterburner instead?

Same thing. Wattman runs and does it's thing if you NEVER enable it in the drivers. It's running by default. Enabling it simply allows you to see what it's doing and make changes. MSI Afterburner is nice to see how much power you are pulling. The higher your temps the more power you will pull. I can make it to 150w or more if I act like an a$$. ;) I don't get more GPU core speeds with ridiculous core voltage as it creates a runaway train effect where the heat generated is messing with the ability to OC.

Also ebduncan showed us that you can OC these cards with a lot less voltage than I was using before. So I'm at +30 on the voltage in MSI Afterburner now. Asus GPU Tweak II keeps raising the voltage to correlate with the increased GPU core speed. This is totally unnecessary as I found that less voltage allows for even higher GPU core speeds as the temps never rise and cause leakage / instability? ebduncan should write a Wattman guide. That thing looks confusing as heck to me.

Last edited:
Same thing. Wattman runs and does it's thing if you NEVER enable it in the drivers. It's running by default. Enabling it simply allows you to see what it's doing and make changes. MSI Afterburner is nice to see how much power you are pulling. The higher your temps the more power you will pull. I can make it to 150w or more if I act like an a$$. ;) I don't get more GPU core speeds with ridiculous core voltage as it creates a runaway train effect where the heat generated is messing with the ability to OC.

Also ebduncan showed us that you can OC these cards with a lot less voltage than I was using before. So I'm at +30 on the voltage in MSI Afterburner now. Asus GPU Tweak II keeps raising the voltage to correlate with the increased GPU core speed. This is totally unnecessary as I found that less voltage allows for even higher GPU core speeds as the temps never rise and cause leakage / instability? ebduncan should write a Wattman guide. That thing looks confusing as heck to me.

You just reminded me that, although I cannot get my Fury Tri X to under volt by more than -30mv or so, I should see if I can get the Fury Nitro + I am running in mGPU mode to go lower. (I forgot that I can do separate settings in MSI Afterburner for each card.) I may also try overclocking the Tri X to match the 1050 GPU core clock of the Nitro +. (Overclocking is mostly out of the question though since I am also running an FX 8300 at 4.5 Ghz and 1.425v on a Thermaltake M850W power supply.)

Most stuff I run that uses both cards will pull only around 600 Watts or so. However, games such as Crysis 3 can pull upwards of 730 Watts so I really do not have any overclocking headroom for my cards. However, my system does idle at around 78 Watts which I think is pretty good. :)

I used to run a couple of OC'd HD 7950's with my FX-9370 OC'd also. They survived just fine on my 850w Corsair power supply.

yeah I think MS did mess something up. I installed updates and now none of my media players work, movie starts and locks up as soon as I go full screen, then it blanks out. online stuff works fine but nothing off my hdd. ive had to fall back to windows media player to watch movies for now. I installed the new 10.3 driver this morning and it still does it. oh well. ill just set wmp as default till they fix it next week.

Every time that someone signs into Skype for the Windows Desktop, I get a black flash then the desktop is visible again. ;(

No issues here....but I haven't Windows updated lately either lol.....I'll get in no rush now

haha, i haven't had any issues yet.

I've been playing around with the rx-480 for the past few days under water. Been playing with custom bios settings, and dialing in the final timings and clock speeds. I've gotten pretty settled in on these settings at its rock stable at 1440mhz core/ 2250mhz memory, using the 1500mhz memory strap timings as well. Voltage is 1.175 . I've been up to around 1500mhz on the core, but it requires to much voltage (1.25volts) and the card just throttles due to powerlimit even with my +75% powertune! Still tinkering, but I doubt I will be able to achieve that 1500mhz core clock and hold steady at that speed. btw don't worry I will have a guide out soon.

I believe the original posters problem was due to the amd driver crashing because of overclock. The settings will get stuck, the only way to fix is to boot into safe mode, which allows the driver to reset back to defaults. I've had that issue before its a pain.

I had no overclock on my Fury X when this issue happened. I reverted to the stock UEFI BIOS months ago on my card.

yeah I think MS did mess something up. I installed updates and now none of my media players work, movie starts and locks up as soon as I go full screen, then it blanks out. online stuff works fine but nothing off my hdd. ive had to fall back to windows media player to watch movies for now. I installed the new 10.3 driver this morning and it still does it. oh well. ill just set wmp as default till they fix it next week.
umm I feel silly... my codecs were borked. re-did them all and everything is working correctly now. figured I should mention this...

latest windows updates and the 16.10.3s are working just fine for me now.

umm I feel silly... my codecs were borked. re-did them all and everything is working correctly now. figured I should mention this...

Black screens like a 1930's Black and White movie. ;) I keep getting errors that the stream could not get decoded when watching streaming online video. That means I can't watch Youtube, Netflix, Playstation Vue, Dish, DirectV, Vimeo, etc. Makes the fact I'm a cable cutter without a TV exasperating. I tried to watch some basketball games last night and these drivers / WIndows 10 / RX 480 are useless as a combination.

Thinking about breaking out my R9 290 or HD7950's this weekend and installing them. If the RX 480 wasn't a part of my water loop, it would have been swapped out for something else.

So far the only issue I have had on 16.10.3 is that ONCE I got the fan speed crank up to 100% and stay there bug. Unfortunately I had uninstalled Sapphire Trixx when I updated to 16.10.2 the previous week and had to reboot the system to clear it.

:sick:I guess my motherboard was dying... Today I couldn't copy files to one of my SSDs without errors. I couldn't reboot without getting the grey screen flashing over and over. I gave up and bought a 1151 motherboard, 6700k, and DDR4 and now everything is working fine.

Back