Win 10 installer error

BOXY

n00b
I have a full retail USB key copy of Windows 10 Home which I purchased from the Microsoft Store and I am trying install and I'm getting this error. Tried this on two different PCs and same screen appeared.

20191006_153447r.jpg

I previously successfully installed Windows from this USB key (over a year or two ago) on a PC which I am no longer using. So I know it worked at least one time. And since this is the retail version, I am allowed to move it to another computer. Before attempting to re-install on a new PC, I followed the procedure to remove the product key from the old PC using the Windows Power Shell as Administrator as explained here: https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how-to-use-slmgr-to-change-remove-or-extend-your-windows-license/

But I doubt that has anything to do with the error I am getting (because this is so early in the install process)... I can't even get the installer to run past the "Loading files..." screen without getting this error screen.

To me it looks like it's having an efi error. What type of system are you trying to install on?

Maybe an Atom processor or something?

Not an Atom. I want to put it on my Zotac:

Zotac ZBOX nano Plus C ZBOX-CI620NANO-P-U Desktop Computer - Intel Core i3 (8th Gen) i3-8130U 2.20 GHz - 4 GB DDR4 SDRAM - 120 GB SSD - Mini PC

But after it failed I also tried it on another PC which is a Celeron G1610 on a Gigabyte MB with the same exact error.

Flaky thumb drive? Make a fresh install on a diff USB thumb drive.

What mode was windows installed in? You might need to change the boot mode from legacy to UEFI from the looks of the error code.
Windows has not been installed to the hard drive yet. The installer itself is throwing this error right after it starts.
I'm trying to install in "Pure UEFI" mode:

WIN_20191006_18_21_30_Pror.jpg

When I boot from the thumb drive I get this screen first:
WIN_20191006_18_19_30_Pror.jpg

Then "Loading files...":
WIN_20191006_18_19_42_Pror.jpg

Then the error screen:
WIN_20191006_18_19_56_Pror.jpg

I bet the UEFI is 32bit but the OS is 64. Try the 32bit option.

It's definitely a UEFI install issue and if legacy doesn't work in the BIOS, then run the 32bit installer.

As an example my Dell tablet has an atom processor. It supports a 64bit OS, as the cpu is 64bit, but because it's an OEM hunk of garbage it uses a 32bit UEFI.

If it was an x86 vs x64 problem, it would be a different error. I have had to install 32-bit Windows 10 on a non-x64 computer before and run into it. It's pretty explicit about it.

Like has been said, download and run the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft - either on a new thumb drive or on the one you have from Microsoft. That Windows 10 RTM image is VERY VERY old, and if the system you are running is fairly new, that * might * be a problem.

You could have made your own flash drive and used an existing 7/8/8.1 key to activate legally, or purchased one dirt cheap in our Forums. Saved some cash! I've heard of a few people buying flash drives that were corrupt or non-functional.

Thanks that's good to know. The USB drive from Microsoft did work before, so I don't know why it didn't work this time. Probably something got corrupted. Anyway, making my own using the Media Creation Tool worked great, so I can just do it that way in the future. And I already had the legally purchased license key that came with the Microsoft USB key so I used that to activate on the ZOTAC.

I have been planning to purchase a second Win 10 license to install on another PC. But after reading your comment about old existing 7/8/8.1 keys, I'm wondering... I obtained a Windows 8 key from Microsoft by upgrading my retail copy of Windows XP to Windows 8 about five years ago. (Though I was never able to get Windows 8 working). Can that key be used for Windows 10?

EDIT:
I still have a OEM Windows 7 Home Premium product key which I purchased. Maybe I can upgrade that one.

Last edited:
Thanks that's good to know. The USB drive from Microsoft did work before, so I don't know why it didn't work this time. Probably something got corrupted. Anyway, making my own using the Media Creation Tool worked great, so I can just do it that way in the future. And I already had the legally purchased license key that came with the Microsoft USB key so I used that to activate on the ZOTAC.

I have been planning to purchase a second Win 10 license to install on another PC. But after reading your comment about old existing 7/8/8.1 keys, I'm wondering... I obtained a Windows 8 key from Microsoft by upgrading my retail copy of Windows XP to Windows 8 about five years ago. (Though I was never able to get Windows 8 working). Can that key be used for Windows 10?

EDIT:
I still have a OEM Windows 7 Home Premium product key which I purchased. Maybe I can upgrade that one.

Yes, both should work fine.

Just know that the Windows 7 Home (Basic, Premium) and Starter editions = Windows 10 Home as well as Windows 8.x Home = Windows 10 Home. Win 7 or 8 Pro = Windows 10 Pro. The "bitness" does not have to match either, so if you were using 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, that same key can install Windows 10 Home x64 just fine as well.

Reactions: BOXY
like this
Thanks. Do I just enter the old product key when Windows 10 asks for a product key, or is there an intermediate step required before I can use the old keys in Win 10?

Thanks. Do I just enter the old product key when Windows 10 asks for a product key, or is there an intermediate step required before I can use the old keys in Win 10?

Nothing special to it, you just type in the Windows 7 or 8 key when prompted for a key by the Windows 10 installer.

Reactions: BOXY
like this
does have to be a clean install and booted off the usb. launching in windows and upgrading wont work with oem keys.

Back