Win 10 for Workstations

poee

Limp Gawd
Recently got a hand-me-down HP Z600 dual Xeon machine running Win 7 Pro. I need to update it to Win10. Does Win 10 Pro support Xeon, or do I have to get Win 10 Pro for Workstations? If so, how do I get that version of 10?

Microsoft website is confusing me about this specific question, as well as how to get Pro for Workstations. Is there an ISO download for it like other versions of 10?

Appreciate any help!

poee

Limp Gawd

pendragon1

[H]F Junkie
how about you grab a spare drive and install pro onto it without a key. then you will see if it works or not. it'll take you 20 min.

Kardonxt

2[H]4U
I'm with pendragon, just install it and see. I have never heard of a Xeon not working on Pro. "Support" can mean anything from won't work to "we will refuse to offer you assistance if you have trouble and aren't running this version."

I don't see the point of listing Pro as supporting dual cpus but then restricting Xeons and Opterons to Workstation or Enterprise, as they are the only mainstream dual CPU platforms.

You would need to talk to someone like a CDW rep to purchase a legit copy of Enterprise or Workstation most likely.

amittalkin

Limp Gawd
I have 2x Xeon x5670 running on my brother's rendering system. It works fine on Win7 and Win10.

acascianelli

Supreme [H]ardness
I have 2x Xeon x5670 running on my brother's rendering system. It works fine on Win7 and Win10.
Here too. Homebuilt system using scavanged parts my company was throwing out and a repurposed Supermicro Server motherboard. Runs Windows 10 just fine. Burns an incredible amount of power though.

jetfire

Limp Gawd
win 10 pro can see a max of two cpus i have 2 5670s in my system with 48gb of ram and ssd boot disc win 10 pro and it boots in to windows in about 20sec ;)

if more than 2 cpus are installed you need to use the server os otherwise it wont see them why imo it costs so much.