Will we ever see a Phenom II X5?

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
Question in the thread title. I figure if they did they would disable a defective core in an otherwise good Phenom II X6. Is it possible though? I would think it is considering they did that with their triple-core models, but would we ever see any released to the market?

My guess is no, and if they do not for a long while.......the process for making the Thubans is much better than the Deneb's was when it started.....so yields are great......also, AMD has tried to cut back on the unlocks by users

They considered doing a Thuban based X4 (an X6 with 2 cores disabled), but it was cancelled. The yields are high enough, and we are approximately a year away from the Bulldozer release. Flooding the market now with more product will only eat into Bulldozer sales provided they still hit their current release schedule. People will simply have too many products to choose from.

They considered doing a Thuban based X4 (an X6 with 2 cores disabled), but it was cancelled. The yields are high enough, and we are approximately a year away from the Bulldozer release. Flooding the market now with more product will only eat into Bulldozer sales provided they still hit their current release schedule. People will simply have too many products to choose from.

The Thuban based X4 was not and is not canceled. The release for the public has been pushed back. Since yields and demand are so high for the X6, AMD is in no hurry to put them out. But they will be here by the end of the year, and you'll probably start seeing OEM's with them near the back to school season.

The Thuban based X4 was not and is not canceled. The release for the public has been pushed back. Since yields and demand are so high for the X6, AMD is in no hurry to put them out. But they will be here by the end of the year, and you'll probably start seeing OEM's with them near the back to school season.

I stand corrected. The information I provided was based on rumor and speculation from a few months ago.

I thought they completely canceled the X4 Thuban release to the public completely and were only going to release them to OEMs due to the fast that tech sites got their hands on them and were able to unlock the other two cores and make it a six-core cpu.

I thought they completely canceled the X4 Thuban release to the public completely and were only going to release them to OEMs due to the fast that tech sites got their hands on them and were able to unlock the other two cores and make it a six-core cpu.

That was tied into the rumor mentioned earlier. AMD has publicly stated(through PR though) that an Thuban X4 will be released to the public. The only thing that's changed is the date of release. Part of that is probably the fact that they don't want people passing up the X6 for the chance to unlock an X4, and not to mentioned that yields are so good and demand high enough that it makes sense to hold out while the impatient people go ahead and spurge on the higher priced chip. It does them no good to release an artificially gimped chip when the full versions are selling extremely well.

Rather no.
There's really no place beetween current lineup of X4 and X6 for such cpu at any sane price (either too close to x4 making them look bad or too close to x6 making them unsellable)

Question in the thread title. I figure if they did they would disable a defective core in an otherwise good Phenom II X6. Is it possible though? I would think it is considering they did that with their triple-core models, but would we ever see any released to the market?

Bad marketing idea. Not being able to unlock would get them lots of unwarranted bad PR.

Holy crap...How come I never thought of this question...

But what if it was possible, an X6 with one bad disabled core...? Just like X3\X2's

Holy crap...How come I never thought of this question...

But what if it was possible, an X6 with one bad disabled core...? Just like X3\X2's

its an idea but will never happen.. they would be better off just gimping 2 cores and making it an x4 then an x5.. the pricing is just to competitive right now to try and fit in an x5 chip.. i mean you figure the 1055T is sub 200 dollars.. the x4's sell in the mid 100 range.. where are you going to fit an x4 XXXT and an x5 XXXT chip in there? it would just cause mass confusion and flooding the market with to many chips leaving way to much overstock for retailers later on down the road..

Bad marketing idea. Not being able to unlock would get them lots of unwarranted bad PR.

Really? Lots of anger because they can't make a $149 proc unlock to 6 cores? I think they would get minor hype if it was possible, much like what happened with the 2/3 core to 4 core unlocks, but no one is going to give NEGATIVE press when a 4 core isn't a 6 core.
It could very well happen (if AMD allows it due to market position), but they will not get negative press either way. Get real.

Really? Lots of anger because they can't make a $149 proc unlock to 6 cores? I think they would get minor hype if it was possible, much like what happened with the 2/3 core to 4 core unlocks, but no one is going to give NEGATIVE press when a 4 core isn't a 6 core.
It could very well happen (if AMD allows it due to market position), but they will not get negative press either way. Get real.

dont you remember the bad press AMD got when they asked the mobo makers to disable ACC features?

dont you remember the bad press AMD got when they asked the mobo makers to disable ACC features?

oh yeah the 2 or 3 people on every tech forum that bitched and then got flamed on by everyone else in the forum for being cheap bastards?.. yeah i remember those people.. lol or are you talking about those reviews from half ass review sites that were all pissy because they couldnt unlock a 100 dollar processor to match a 230 dollar processor? theres a reason they are a half ass review site and negative crap like that gets people to read their junk..

all im saying is that there is a niche market of cheap assholes who go and bitch about it

all im saying is that there is a niche market of cheap assholes who go and bitch about it

yep thats just the way the world works.. they need their 15 seconds of fame and then we all forget about them..

Back