Will upgrading a CPU only in Win10 OEM deactivate key?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
I see all the posts about how upgrading the motherboard or a few components at once will deactivate a Win10 install- I'm just wondering about the CPU alone.

I'm building a friend a new PC and have an older CPU lying around- I'm wondering if I should stick with the older CPU or just buy a better one now, being that the free Win10 upgrade will come to an end at the end of the month? If I have to spend >$50 on a retail version of Win10 it won't be worth it.

So long as the motherboard isn't changed...it should still be fine. But OEM windows is extra finicky

The rules for OEM keys shouldn't be any different, but for the fact it's locked to the motherboard. I'm just wondering about the CPU. I have a Win7 OEM key that I'm going to use for a fresh Win10 install. An old P67 mobo with a G640. Sandy/Ivy Quad core prices on eBay fluctuate wildly.

That's why I'm wondering about upgrading the CPU alone.

Going with 99.9999% sure it's no problem. What hardware changes and what amount cause the activation to re-trigger are only known to, well, nobody. :confused: But a CPU change should be fine.

Back