• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will TPC enable all-core boost for 4386

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Apr 25, 2001
Messages
16,096
My 4386's are currently running at 3.1 which is the default clock. They are supposed to be able to boost to 3.4 all-core, but they are not. Is this a bios issue with the KCMA-D8 or can I use TPC to make this happen?
 
It should. They are others here that are much more knowledgeable with tpc and gave you the exact commands.
 
Sweet. I'll check back tomorrow and hope I can find out how to enable the all-core turbo. Every little bit counts.
 
There are general issues with all-core Turbo and AMD server CPUs [turbo not engaging fully].

All-core turbo info: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1708870

Having installed TPC, you need to run:
Code:
sudo tpc -psmax 1

Whenever in doubt, feel free to paste output.

You may also consider installing ocng-utils [see OCNG thread -- http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1677395 -- steps #11-#14] and checking clockspeed out, i.e.
Code:
sudo clockspeed
 
Great. I reviewed those guides last night, but wanted to make sure it would work ok with this set of cpu's before installing. I'll install after work tonight.
 
tpc doesn't seem to work with 43XX cpu's

chuck@Ubuntu-Box:~/tpc-0.44-rc2/src$ sudo make install
install -ps TurionPowerControl /usr/bin
ln -sf TurionPowerControl /usr/bin/tpc
chuck@Ubuntu-Box:~/tpc-0.44-rc2/src$ sudo tpc -temp
TurionPowerControl 0.44-rc2 (export)
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard

cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
No supported processor detected, sorry.
chuck@Ubuntu-Box:~/tpc-0.44-rc2/src$ sudo tpc -psmax 1
TurionPowerControl 0.44-rc2 (export)
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard

cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
cpuid:eek:pen: No such file or directory
No supported processor detected, sorry.
chuck@Ubuntu-Box:~/tpc-0.44-rc2/src$
 
Run:
Code:
sudo modprobe cpuid
sudo modprobe msr
then retry tpc please.
 
Run:
Code:
sudo modprobe cpuid
sudo modprobe msr
then retry tpc please.

Sweet. Got this after running the other commands:

chuck@Ubuntu-Box:~$ sudo modprobe cpuid
[sudo] password for chuck:
chuck@Ubuntu-Box:~$ sudo modprobe msr
chuck@Ubuntu-Box:~$ sudo tpc -psmax 1
TurionPowerControl 0.44-rc2 (export)
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard


Done.
chuck@Ubuntu-Box:~$
 
Looks like it isn't boosting. The fans speed up, but no diff in tpf. I tried to run the ocng utils and it tells me motherboard not supported.

I have powernow enabled in bios as well as HPC enabled. CPB is enabled and C6 is enabled.

Edit: I turned off powernow and just ran TPC again then ran sudo clockspeed and it came back as.......3400 MHz baby. Woot! I am boosted.
 
DooKey said:
I tried to run the ocng utils and it tells me motherboard not supported.

You probably ran incorrect utility.
The utility to run is called "clockspeed".

Code:
sudo clockspeed

Make sure to load "cpuid" and "msr" modules beforehand (as w/TPC):
Code:
sudo modprobe cpuid
sudo modprobe msr

I would also recommend running:
Code:
sudo tpc -CM
For at least 30 seconds, then pressing Ctrl+C and pasting the output here.
 
Here's the output from sudo tpc -CM

Ts:34710489 -
Node 0 c0:ps2 - c1:ps2 - c2:ps2 - c3:ps2 - Tctl: 65
Node 1 c0:ps2 - c1:ps2 - c2:ps2 - c3:ps2 - Tctl: 60
Node0
C0: 0 297 206 55 26 13 0 C1: 0 297 205 56 25 14 0
C2: 0 297 205 56 25 14 0 C3: 0 296 207 55 25 14 0
Node1
C0: 0 295 208 54 27 13 0 C1: 0 295 208 54 27 13 0
C2: 0 295 208 54 27 13 0 C3: 0 295 208 54 27 13 0
MinTctl:59 MaxTctl:66
 
I'm currently at 34:25 tpf with a 8101. Just a little over the preferred deadline.
 
Your P-states are all over the place. Did you use musky's install script to set your Linux folding up?

1. Download and run fahdiag, please:
Code:
cd $HOME
rm -f fahdiag
wget https://raw.github.com/team33/fahdiag/released/fahdiag
chmod +x fahdiag
./fahdiag | pastebinit
It should spit out an URL -- paste it here.

2. Run the following:
Code:
sudo modprobe cpuid
sudo modprobe msr
sudo tpc -psmax 1
sudo tpc -CM
tpc -CM -- just like the last time -- for a bit over 30 seconds and then paste the result please.
 
Yes, I followed the guide.

1. http://paste.ubuntu.com/5716886/

2.

Ts:68023039 -
Node 0 c0:ps1 - c1:ps1 - c2:ps1 - c3:ps1 - Tctl: 67
Node 1 c0:ps1 - c1:ps1 - c2:ps1 - c3:ps1 - Tctl: 62
Node0
C0: 0 598 0 0 0 0 0 C1: 0 598 0 0 0 0 0
C2: 0 598 0 0 0 0 0 C3: 0 598 0 0 0 0 0
Node1
C0: 0 598 0 0 0 0 0 C1: 0 598 0 0 0 0 0
C2: 0 598 0 0 0 0 0 C3: 0 598 0 0 0 0 0
MinTctl:59 MaxTctl:68
 
Excellent, now all cores are consistently in P-state 1 :) [all-core turbo] -- that's what we wanted.

If you run:
Code:
sudo clockspeed
it should show us nice 3400 MHz.

TPFs should also go down a little.
 
Last edited:
I ran sudo clockspeed and it is indeed 3400 mhz. I'll keep an eye on frame times.

Also, what IRC program do you recommend I use to jump into the fray so we can get a little clockgen on this beast?
 
The easiest approach is probably using mibbit (a web client) -- http://mibbit.com

You could also consider native Windows clients such as IceChat or, ahem, mIRC.
 
I used mIRC in the past so I downloaded it. I'll jump in in a little bit after I do some yard work.
 
Update:

Thanks to tear this 2p is now capable of making the 8101 deadline for bonus points!
 
To recap:

1. sudo -psmax 1 indeed did work (-CM output ultimately proved it, along with clockspeed):
Code:
$ sudo clockspeed
Clockspeed (OCNG4.2)
Family 15h
Turbo is supported. 2 boost state(s).
Running, please wait...
Refclock: 200.000 MHz
Clockspeed: 3400.000 MHz


2. Unfortunately, continuous sitting in all-core turbo bin caused CPUs to hit their thermal
  limits (stock AMD FX-series HSFs [?]) which degraded the performance:

Code:
$ sudo tpc -htc 
TurionPowerControl 0.44-rc2 (export)
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard

Hardware Thermal Control Status:

 --- Node 0:
HTC features enabled flag: true. Hardware Thermal Control is enabled.
HTC features currently active (means overheating): false
[b]HTC features has been active (means overheated in past): true[/b]
HTC parameters are locked: false
HTC Slew control: by Tctl without Slew register
HTC Limit temperature (equal or above means overheating): 70
HTC Hysteresis temperature (equal or below means no more overheating) : 67
HTC PState Limit: 7

 --- Node 1:
HTC features enabled flag: true. Hardware Thermal Control is enabled.
HTC features currently active (means overheating): false
[b]HTC features has been active (means overheated in past): true[/b]
HTC parameters are locked: false
HTC Slew control: by Tctl without Slew register
HTC Limit temperature (equal or above means overheating): 70
HTC Hysteresis temperature (equal or below means no more overheating) : 67
HTC PState Limit: 7

3. Setting fans to their maximum speed helped a bit but not enough to prevent hitting
  thermal thresholds.

4. We have decided to lower all-core turbo bin voltage to 1.2250V, half way between
  nominal speed voltage (1.1625V) and all-core turbo voltage (1.2875V).

  Voltage info:
Code:
$ sudo tpc -l | grep 0.pstate.[12] | head -2
core 0 pstate 1 (pb1) - En:1 VID:21 FID:18 DID:0.00 Freq:3400 VCore:1.2875
core 0 pstate 2 (p0) - En:1 VID:31 FID:15 DID:0.00 Freq:3100 VCore:1.1625

  Adjustment:
Code:
sudo tpc -psmax 5    #  to get CPU out of all-core turbo bin
sudo tpc -set ps 1 vcore 1.2250
sudo tpc -psmax 1

5. Doing so brought temperatures below thermal threshold and 8101 TPF of 32m12s. No adverse effects so far.
 
4. We have decided to lower all-core turbo bin voltage to 1.2250V, half way between
  nominal speed voltage (1.1625V) and all-core turbo voltage (1.2875V).

  Voltage info:
Code:
$ sudo tpc -l | grep 0.pstate.[12] | head -2
core 0 pstate 1 (pb1) - En:1 VID:21 FID:18 DID:0.00 Freq:3400 VCore:1.2875
core 0 pstate 2 (p0) - En:1 VID:31 FID:15 DID:0.00 Freq:3100 VCore:1.1625

  Adjustment:
Code:
sudo tpc -psmax 5    #  to get CPU out of all-core turbo bin
sudo tpc -set ps 1 vcore 1.2250
sudo tpc -psmax 1
Note that these actions were used to perform the changes run-time (tpc -psmax 1
had run previously).

Appropriate /etc/rc.local adjustment (~universal for any scaling governor) should look like:
Code:
tpc -fo 1
tpc -set ps 1 vcore 1.2250
tpc -fo 0
tpc -psmax 1
 
tear, did you dig up any info that leads you to believe clockgen might be usable on my KCMA-D8? I have some 212+ HSF I need to do a musky mod on and then I'll be ready to give it a try.
 
I've lost access to your machine last time I meant to take look at it. Let's try again whenever feasible :)
 
Back
Top