Memory Capacity
16x 240-pin DDR3 DIMM slots
Up to 1TB DDR3 ECC LRDIMM
Up to 512GB DDR3 ECC RDIMM
Up to 128GB DDR3 ECC/non-ECC UDIMM
Memory Type
1866/1600/1333/1066/800MHz* ECC DDR3 SDRAM 72-bit, 240-pin gold-plated DIMMs
Support ECC and non-ECC UDIMMs

* Maximum memory speed may be capped by CPU. Please verify that the chosen CPU can support desired memory speed.
DIMM Sizes
32GB, 16GB, 8GB, 4GB, 2GB, 1GB,
64GB LRDIMM
Memory Voltage
1.5 V, 1.35 V
Error Detection
Corrects single-bit errors
Detects double-bit errors (using ECC memory)

I don't need ecc or buffered, so could I go with regular desktop memory like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

or do I need 72 bit sdram, and is the gskill 72 bit, also is the gskill timing ok? I already have some I could test when I get the MB. The MB will be running dual xeons that are non-ecc compliant (E5-2670)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Right...I saw that too...but I don't know memory that well, I usually go with what others have gone with mentioned in their reviews on newegg.

They mentioned above, 72 bit memory...is all memory 72 bit?

also, I think I want to go with quad channel, so that is 4 sticks per cpu....so 8x4GB sticks would give me 32 GB...I think that should be enough...if not, I can by another 8 because the board has 8 slots per cpu.

Here is an option for quad channel I'm wondering will work:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231498

ECC = 72 bit. Non-ECC = 64 bit. ECC or non-ECC is all part of the 240 pin DDR3 DIMM memory standard,

That's good to know. So if I get any non-ecc unbuffered 240 pin ddr3 1600, it should work. Unlesss timings are an issue for the MB, in which case I would think SM would have mentioned something more about memory? Perhaps, it's more wide open then I thought.

I've just read stories of people buying the wrong memory...but they didn't specify what was wrong about it, I was curious as to what mistake was made so I can avoid it too.

yeah I'm not finding any straight answers either. buy local and try it so you can return easily if it doesn't work.

Back