• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will this RAM work?

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 22, 2009
Messages
1,256
I am in the midst of the i5 build in my signature, and it was pointed out to me recently that the 1156 socket is rated for DDR3 RAM with voltages up to 1.65V. Well, this was news to me. Somehow I missed this in all of my wonderful "comprehensive" research, and it turns out I'm a complete voltage moron. So, that said, I checked the RAM that I bought on Newegg, and the voltage rating is 1.7V.

Uh-oh?

Edit: I don't have a video card or the CPU cooler bracket, yet, so nothing has been powered on or tested. I'm just wondering if I should send it back now, or if it may be worth a shot.
 
Is the system being built the one in your signature? If not, provide more inofmration such as MOBO and ram type, speed, etc.
 
It should still work, but just set the RAM to whatever its highest stable setting is with 1.65V. You might not be able to reach its full rated speed and/or timings, but that's still better than using too much voltage for the memory controller to safely handle.
 
It should still work, but just set the RAM to whatever its highest stable setting is with 1.65V. You might not be able to reach its full rated speed and/or timings, but that's still better than using too much voltage for the memory controller to safely handle.
Awesome. Thanks a lot. :)
 
It should be able to run at those settings @ 1.65, but if not do what Zero said.
 
You should try to run it at the 1.7V frequency with the 1.7V timings @ 1.65V , but if that doesn't work lower the frequency.
 
Back
Top