Will this PSU be sufficient for this system?

Hot Sauce

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
154
1 x Sparkle Power SPI ATX-400PN 400W ATX12V 20/24PIN Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan P4 AMD Ready OEM


1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core Processor AM2 2.7GHZ 2X512KB 65W 65NM Retail Box
1 x ASUS M2A-VM mATX AM2 AMD 690G DDR2 PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI Video VGA DVI Sound Motherboard
1 x Corsair Value Select PC2-5300 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
1 x NVIDIA 8800GT OEM 600MHZ 512MB GDDR3 1.8GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I
1 x Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Heatsink Fan AM2/S939/S940/S754 92MM Fan 1350-2600RPM 18-27.5DBA W/ Green LED
1 x Compucase 6C28B ATX Case Black 4X5.25 2X3.5 4X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS
1 x Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI-E X1 OEM

Thanks!
 
Spend the extra $$ and get something of better quality, ie corsair vx550 comes to mind. PS is something you dont wanna skimp on.
 
How many watts of the 450 that unit is capable of supply are devoted to the 12 volt rail? The ammount of power on the 12 volt rail is going to be what determines weather or not the unit will have enough power.

If the unit isn't strong enough, you could look at purchasing a Corsair VX450 or if you like you can get some extra headroom with the VX550 or HX520.
 
From what I've heard Sparkle makes quality power supplies.
I think you should be fine, should be enough power. Though if it was me, I would step upto an 80plus certified PSU, and probably closer to the 500W mark.

The XtremeAudio card there is a waste of money IMHO, no hardware audio DSP. Either step up to the XtremeGamer or stick with onboard.
 
Handy calculator i often use:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I always add 50-100w on top to be absolutley sure mind

edit: Noticed your planning on using an Xfi card in a system with 4GB of RAM. Heard nothing but horror stories about that particular setup, i'd research it before spending the money if i were you
 
Handy calculator i often use:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I always add 50-100w on top to be absolutley sure mind

edit: Noticed your planning on using an Xfi card in a system with 4GB of RAM. Heard nothing but horror stories about that particular setup, i'd research it before spending the money if i were you

I haven't had any issues with 4gb + x-fi, but I'd believe it, we are talking about Creative after all.
 
Sparkle Power 400W should be enough but I would spend a little more on a better model. A good PSU ensures stability and durability.
The Corsair vx550 is a good choice.
 
I'm almost betting this Antec 380W PSU will do a good job for you. The Antec is retail packaged, and from what seen that Sparkle is being sold all over as OEM, which could lead to packaging problems... Would suck to have some packing peanuts floating around inside the PSU. I'm not sure if the Antec will have enough juice for ya though, the 8800 is quite the juice sucker... For something with a little more, the CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX may be the better choice.
 
Thanks for all your input! I've decided to go with the Corsair VX550. Like you guys have said, it's better to be on the safe side.
 
Back
Top