• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Will this memory work with this motherboard?

spr1nt

n00b
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
19
I have these ram here:

Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Series 12 GB (6 x 2GB) PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 Six-Channel Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Performance-PC3-10666-DDR3-1333-Six-Channel/dp/B0026P00MK

There are 6 sticks of ram and I was wondering if I could just use 2 of them with this motherboard:

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366

Im assuming you dont need to use all 6 in order for them to work correct? If I just use 2 of them will the motherboard still detect them as dual channel?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It should work fine.

Just be aware if you ever need to RMA a stick you might have to RMA all of them at the same time.

The only sticks I have heard so far that might have trouble with AMD boards are OCZ sticks with 1.7V.
 
As long as the motherboard's bios supports 1.65v memory and 6 ddr ram sticks, you should be good.
Ok from the picture, I only see FOUR memory slots on that mobo.
So don't buy the 12GB kit. Buy an 8GB kit.

This should work.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145267

If you shop around you might even find a lower price. And don't forget to use Bing cashback if it saves you money vs Amazon.

Dude if you only need 2 sticks, then just buy 2 sticks. Buying just 4GB will save you money.

Oh and these just look really cool, plus they give you a memory fan too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145266
 
Last edited:
These were a gift or else I would have just gotten 2 sticks. Anyhow, thanks for the help guys.
 
Try contact Patriot if you can exchange your memory sticks for 3 packs of 2x2GB DDR3 versions.
 
Back
Top