Will this Cpu still work? missing capacitor pics included

Ninnetyer

n00b
Hello, can someone help me with issue, I have a cpu which I think may be broken I am not sure, it has one of his capacitor or I dont know a chip maybe?

I have some pics for you guys, check on the bottom left.

IMG_20150929_063414.jpg

IMG_20150929_063026195.jpg

* So in the end, you guys think it may work?
* Can I test it on a motherboard without risking it? or it may fried the board?

Thank you guys in advance.

who knows.. maybe you unlocked it to 8Ghz lol.. Just test it :)

Last edited:
I had an old Athlon once, back before heat-spreaders when you had to delicately balance a heatsink with only two center clips directly on top of the CPU die. I messed up once and took out one of the little capacitors on the top of the CPU. It still worked thankfully. Not sure how relevant that is to your CPU, but I would certainly still try it.

That looks like a 775 processor. If nothing else, you can always get a cheap 775 quad on ebay.

All you can do is try like others have said. I have broken a pin off an AMD cpu before and some how it still worked.

I can't really see anything in the pictures. Only way to know is to try it. It will not affect the motherboard in anyway, it will either work or not work. Good Luck!

That looks like an insurance cap.Probably not absolutly necessary,but good insurance against spurious oscillation.

maybe you could bake / reflow it back on. would be really difficult and require magnification.. but like others said, it is likely the chip still works.

Thank you all guys, you encourage me to test it on a old board I had and now it is working and now its going to work on a htpc 720p.

Cheers and thanks again

Back