Will this build work?

star78

n00b
Build: https://pchound.com/rbseY9/

Thanks for helping me check : D

Update: Forgot to ask Is it possible to overclock motherboard so 1600MHz ram is supported and system will still be okay? Thanks : D

Last edited:
that mobo will limit your OCability and the psu isn't powerful enough. youll want 600w+ if your OCing and maybe a better mobo with better vrm, 8+.

As pendragon1 mentioned earlier, you'll have problems with the motherboard and the power supply. If you want an overclocking-friendly motherboard, you should look for something with an AMD 990FX chipset. As for the power supply, a good 650 watt unit would give you plenty of breathing room. (You won't need the full capability, but the price difference is small compared to a 550 watt PSU.)

If you want to "overclock" the RAM, you should spend a little extra on DDR3 1866 or DDR3 2133 RAM. Find some RAM that runs at 1.5V.

Before we get too carried away, however, how much can you spend on this build?

I do not wish to overclock with the only exception being overclocking the motherboard to fully use the 1600 ram. Hardware description for motherboard says it supports 1600 o.c ram. Budget should be as close to 700 CAD as possible.

Unless the board and chip support DDR3 1600 RAM, overclocking the board isn't going to do jack shit for you.
Moreover, the extra memory bandwidth really isn't going to get you much other than a few points in benchmarks.
Your real world performance will amount to fuck-all.

I would really, really hold off on an AM3+ build for another couple of weeks until we see what Zen has to offer. If nothing else, it will drive the prices down.

Unless the board and chip support DDR3 1600 RAM, overclocking the board isn't going to do jack shit for you.
Moreover, the extra memory bandwidth really isn't going to get you much other than a few points in benchmarks.
Your real world performance will amount to fuck-all.

Actually, Vishera is heavily limited by its mediocre memory subsystem. 1866-2133 shows significant gains on those chips. Running it in single channel mode is even worse. But for a budget build, you get what you can afford I suppose.

I do not wish to overclock with the only exception being overclocking the motherboard to fully use the 1600 ram. Hardware description for motherboard says it supports 1600 o.c ram. Budget should be as close to 700 CAD as possible.
oh I misunderstood. that's it just for the ram speeds and board doesn't really matter much. if you get a 1600 kit it will run at 1600 but get 2x4 for dual channel.
and Lig has a very good point too. price drops of old fx stuff should be right around the corner. but if youre not worried about that and want it now then I would say bump up the psu to ~500w as the estimate seems low.

Back