Will this be a decent system?

synbios

Weaksauce
My current system is nearing the end of it's life and after upgrades after upgrades I was thinking it would be better to just build a new system.
I have already started and have gotten myself the Coolermaster Cavalier 3 case with Window and an Enermax EG465AX-VE and some Sharkoon rounded cables.

I have been looking at the following components and was wondering if they would create a good stable machine?

CPU: Athlon64 3200 (Winchester core)
Mobo: Asrock 939Dual
RAM: Geil 1Gb PC3200 Dual Chan DDR Kit (Cas 2.5 6-3-3 with Aluminium heat spreader)

I need some advice on a cooler for the CPU as it will be OEM. There seems to be so much to choose from but I found one which seems to do a fantastic job (from reviews) and is at a very reasonable price - £16 ($28). It's the ThermalTake K8 Silent Boost Cooler (A1838). Will this fit in the mobo or will there be issues?
EDIT: Just saw another Thermal Take - Venus 12 for only a few quid more(£18.50/$32.50), is this any better?

I am currently using a Geforce 3 Ti500 and will eventually upgrade to mid-high end AGP or PCI-E. I would also continue to use my current HDs which are IDE units. I think SATA will have to wait too.

The reason I am using the Winchester core is because here in the UK I have found a large online retailer who is selling that CPU for cheaper than others and much cheaper than the Venice core. Besides I am on a budget and not really looking to spend more than £200 (~$350)

So what do you reckon? Am I missing something..

Many thanks

I've never used an Asrock board. Have you read any reviews?
The 1GB memory should serve you fine unless you like BF2. I understand it runs badly without 2GB.
At this point in time I would forget buying another AGP board. AGP is dying and is no longer worth investing in.

D3v01D said:
I've never used an Asrock board. Have you read any reviews?
The 1GB memory should serve you fine unless you like BF2. I understand it runs badly without 2GB.
At this point in time I would forget buying another AGP board. AGP is dying and is no longer worth investing in.

I've had good luck installing that board on 2 systems, with no drop in performance over my nforce 3 mobo.

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable putting an ASRock as the backbone of my system. They're more of a budget-board company. You might consider this instead. The 1 gig of RAM should be fine for now, even with BF2. I have the same RAM and processor and it runs fine for me. The load times are just a little slow, but nothing major.

sc00ter said:
I don't know if I'd feel comfortable putting an ASRock as the backbone of my system. They're more of a budget-board company. You might consider this instead. The 1 gig of RAM should be fine for now, even with BF2. I have the same RAM and processor and it runs fine for me. The load times are just a little slow, but nothing major.

He doesn't have the money to upgrade his vid card also. His budget is like 350.

Back