Will this ATXv 2.2 PSU work with Asus H97M + i3?

ryanjg11

Gawd
New build won't boot, and I'm thinking it could be the power supply...

Just upgraded my HTPC with the following:

* Asus H97M Plus motherboard
* Intel i3-4330T
* Kingston Fury 4gb DDR3 1600 (single stick)

I was hoping to skate by with the old power supply - I believe it is an Antec Earthwatts EA500, though I noticed this is an ATX v2.2 (not a v2.3 as most current Haswell-certified power supplies seem to be). I have confirmed it appears to have the right ATX cables for connection to the motherboard.

It should be fine. Just disable the low power sleep states.

Where does it say need? It says recommended.

Changes from ATX 12.2 to 12.3:
Recommended efficiency increased to 80%, required minimum efficiency increased to 70%.
12v minimum load was lowered, for systems that use less power.
20 amp per rail limit removed.

Nothing there excludes an ATX 12.2 PSU from working with his system. Disable low power sleep states, and the minimum load issue would most likely go away.

As I have said before, next time you try to appear smart, make sure you know what you're talking about.

Who's getting mad? I'm certainly not.

The only thing in the 2.3 spec that may affect functionality with an older ATX 2.2 PSU is the lower CPU load threshold. It may be possible that the CPU draws too little power during boot for the PSU to boot. Other than that, nothing would prevent it from working, and a system with a high power discrete GPU would draw enough power to not go under that minimum load threshold on an older PSU.

You cannot compare AT vs ATX and ATX 2.x revisions. AT doesn't even have all of the required voltage outputs for ATX. You can make an ATX 1.0 PSU work on a modern system, provided the system stays within the power limits of 1.0.

I've taken electrical engineering. Conceptually, I can tell you how to jerry rig an AT PSU to work with a modern system. Can you?

I got it to work -- not sure how, exactly. Removed a couple of components, re-inserted the ATX power connections, and it will now post.

Unfortunately, I'm having no luck installing Windows... I can get through the entire setup process, but then I get a black screen. System still running, but no HDMI signal it appears.

Updated the BIOS. Plugged it into my desktop monitor (and plasma). Same deal.

Have you tried the DVI and VGA ports? Do you have a discrete GPU you can plug in? Also try putting your RAM in different slots.

Ready for a laugh? I found the culprit:

Here it is

Once installed, Windows doesn't even boot. Just show a black screen. Pull it out, and everything is fine.

I was able to use a USB TP-Link adapter and now I'm off and running.

Only took all day to troubleshoot. Proof as to why most people don't build HTPCs anymore, and why Microsoft is now out of the Media Player business. :(

Back