Will this affect performance?

iceman1110

Limp Gawd
I just ordered a new video card (9800SE plan on softmodding because others seemed to have success doing it). My motherboard only has AGP4x on it, the card says it is 4x or 8x. My question is will my motherboard being only 4x hold this card back? The system is a Sempron 2600 Socket-A with 1 gig of pc-2700 memory.

Could someone explain why? I guess to the average person such as myself would think 8x means better?

basically 4x>8x wasent really a big performance boost, just some minor flaws fixed from my understanding..

Now 2x is where youll start seeing some drop in performance :p

It is faster, but since games barely even use enough bandwidth for AGP 2X it doesn't make much of a difference at all.. Same with PCIe.

Thanks :) how effective is the softmod usually? About the most graphic intensive game I play is counter-strike:source.

It's implied that AGP8x is faster than AGP4x, but it's not true in all cases.

I said that it's implied because people who are running AGP4x boards generally are using more outdated CPU's, etc.. this bottlenecks the system and can affect video card performance substancially. The AGP4X port by itself, as has been said, will have no direct impact of performance.

As for your other question: if the softmod works you will see a substancial performance boast (probably 200-300% in most games). However, if it doesn't work, you will be stuck with a card that's slower than a 9600pro and will not be capable of playing modern games at decent levels. The modded card would own CS:Source.

good luck.

This may sound dumb but here goes. Once I install the new card, is there something I can view that I can look at before and after to see if the mod worked?

Just google up 9800se softmod.

As for performance, if the mod doesn't work you'll be able to run 1024x768 medium/high details with no FSAA or AF.

With the mod you'll get 1024x768 with 4xFSAA and 8xAF.

Back