• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will these components fit into the SN25P?

brianoh

n00b
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
17
So I've decided (finally) to create a SFF PC. These are the parts I was thinking about ordering. Will these all fit? My major concern is the 7800GT. Does anyone, first-hand, know if it will fit in the shuttle?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor

XFX PV-T70G-UDF7 Geforce 7800 GT Overclocked PCI Express 256MB DDR Video Card w/HDTV-Out, Dual DVI & VIVO Retail

1 GB DDR (400) PC-3200 Corsair w/LED Display (CMX1024-3200PRO)

BenQ DW1640 Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer

Thanks in advance!
 
thanks for the replies guys. one last question. seeing that there are so many problems people are having with defective units, would you reccomend that i buy the barebone from frys and return if there are any issues? i could save roughly 40 dollars if i buy from an online retailer, but RMAing it may be a bitch. I guess, what I'm asking, is whether its worth 40 dollars for a peace of mind. what would you guys reccomend?
 
You know, about every 3 weeks or so, Frys seems to run a special on the SN25P (atleast where I live). The last special they had took it down to $340 I believe, so maybe wait until the Friday ad gets released, just in case.
 
Yeah I mean the only thing you are saving is tax and time. If you think you need it that second, definately fry's. If you can wait a bit, even if you have an issue and have to return it, your online price is still below the price of a B&M store.
 
Bought my SN25P from the Renton, Wa. Fry's 3 weeks ago for $330 AR. No problems with mine.
 
err what kind of problems have you been hearing about? The only known problem is the crappy SATA cables that come with the SN25P that should be replaced because they dont connect properly.
 
asianguy80 said:
err what kind of problems have you been hearing about? The only known problem is the crappy SATA cables that come with the SN25P that should be replaced because they dont connect properly.

C'mon! Plenty of minor problems and unstability, Asianguy - - I see you over at SFFTech all the time - - You know the threads . . . :)

http://forums.sudhian.com

Are they major? Not severe, but definitely annoying.

Does Shuttle acknowledge them? No, not even the cable issue!

I won't go into a shopping list of problems, but caveat emptor !!

To counter that, though, there are many people who have bought the SN25P and had lots of success, smooth operation, and no problems.

Best advice I saw in that respect recently was cruise the threads for people whosay they have no problems and then mimic the machine in their sig.

Parent of this thread, do your homework, read all the threads. Bottom line - - it is an enthusiast machine. No guarantees on stability.

For essentially the same amount and less headache, you could always . . .

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/xpsdt?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

:)

-hk
 
Definitly do your home work before making a purchase but in regards to the SN25P off the top of my head I could only think of the SATA cables as a first. True that I'm at SFFTech all the time and I'm reading about various problems but sometimes they are the end-user's fault and not shuttle's.

Problems that I can think of ATM are:

1) x2 cpu's with USB2 problems that would force it to usb1.1 mode but I thought that was fixed in the latest Y Bios.

2) VIA Envy 24PT 5.1 sound supposedly isn't true 5.1 in some apps like BF2 they only mirror the sound. Still not fixed in the latest version of 4.73b (IIRC if it's that version)

3) RAM instabilities: should be none because you can't skimp and put some crappy RAM because the 25p is KNOWN to be unstable with crappy ram. Value ram is ok but something like Corsair VS is good. some people use it and have no problems.

4) Mic/Headphones not getting proper sound is another issue I think with the Envy24PT audio chipset. For the love of god I don't nkow why shuttle didn't go with a creative audio solution.... anyways....some people claim that there is low sound coming/being emitted from the mic/headphones but that can be fixed with a signal amplifier IIRC

5) Sound. for a silent system the rear fans cannot exceed 35% in speed fan other wise you'll get a high pitch whine from them. As of now there is no fix for this because no one produces 60x10mm that are PWM fans 4-wire with speed control.

6) Cooling for the upper front HD. This is a known problem for ALL P-series regardless of CPU SD31P or SN25/26P. Shuttle simply did not think it through properly with cooling the front HD so you will have to ziptie up 2x 40x10mm fans to cool the front HD properly. like at the bottom of this thread

I did a quick search but SFF just updated their stuff so the search didn't go back as far as I wanted it to go. I'll try to think up some more stuff but usually there are small fixes for most problems. If you really are scared then pick up a used one from someone whose system has been proven stable. always a good alternative. ;)
 
Good, rational, well-thought out shopping list, Asianguy.

Something I did not initially pursue (I'm a lazy bastard), but, since you started it, I will continue:

7) RAID does not always implement correctly and is known to drop drives. Again, I am stymied, like you, in efforts to use the search at SFF. I know I have seen several threads regarding this. I think Digikid at SFF has a running post on RAID failure on Shuttles in general.

8) The hardware firewall on the NForce4 mobo contines to not work for many people. Some claim great success. The majority simply do not install, it as it seems to produce BSODs.

9) Underpowered or problems with USB ports dropping. One post I know of relating to it, however this turned out to be a software conflict, I believe:

http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?catid=43&threadid=85281&messageid=731813

and this one:

http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx?catid=18&threadid=85074&enterthread=y

10) the Nforce4 mobo in general seems to be hit or miss:

http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=8989

That's all I have for now.

All said, this machine *could* ideally be stable. I admit my opinon is colored, however - - my SN25P is currently being RMAed. Why? Because even after multiple switches of components it refused to be stable and enoyed producing BSODs like clockwork. No overclocking, good cooling - - all that. Bum board? Bad luck? Incompetent user? (Maybe!)

Here is a thread where users post their working SN25P systems! Good contrast to the complaints:

http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx?catid=43&threadid=83874&enterthread=y

The jury, and my machine, are still out though, and I may end up with a stable system yet. HOWEVER, I can not stress enough that the SN25P at this point **seems** hit or miss, and not without problems. I agree, some are definitely user-created, but I still hold that the system is not as stable as it could be. Opinion, for sure, but the threads and topics remain.

-hk
 
In answer to your problems you listed:

7) RAID - I don't use RAID so I was not aware of this issue.

8) Yes, it has been stated over and over that the nVidia NAM is the cause for many corrupt downloads and to avoid using it at all costs. Even with the new driver updates (6.70 or 6.73 i forgot) I think it's still bad. I believe nV is to blame for that one. FWIW I think the IDE drivers are fixed in the latest version.

9) I glazed over the two threads that you listed and I have not run into those problem as I dont use an iPod (nor will I ever but that's beyond the point) I'm not sure what VMWare is as I have not used it but I would say that that isn't a shuttle problem but more of a software issue. If VMWare is a shuttle util. then they probably need to look into that and try making it so that VMWare won't rewrite those mobo values to mess up the usb/nic.

10) NF4 Ultra is a problem but that is mostly a problem on nV's side and shuttles problem for choosing them ;) nV should invest more time into fine tuning their drivers. IDE I think has been fixed in the new 6.70 drivers but Active Armor(firewall) and the Network Access Manager (NAM) is still buggy and I think it still corrupts downloads so most people just install the ethernet drivers sans Active Armor/NAM.

Regarding your 25p I think it was probably a bunk mobo? If even at stock settings the system was not functioning properly it was probably bad OTD. You never know sometimes things happen albeit a lot of things happend with the 25p and that's why many people are still on the fence with this one. Many threads ask if they should get the 25p because of all the problems that they've read about and I agree that they should not risk getting the 25p if it will be their only machine because if problems arise then they would be stuck with no machine if an RMA were to occur. Lets just hope that your next 25p will be a breeze and you'll love it every bit as much as every other user who is 95% problem free :)
 
Back
Top