Will the Ultra X3 1000W power an Overclocked Skulltrail, 4 8800GT's, 3 Hard Drives?

T-rock

n00b
Hello all, I'm in need of a good modular power supply.

I've been considering the Ultra X3, but the single 12v has me worried. This rig will be used for folding as well, so both CPU's and 4 GPU's will be pegged at full load much of the time.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about amperage requirements, but will it's single source be enough to handle that load requirement? If not, I'd like to hear some recommendations.

Here are the exact specs:

Intel D5400XS Motherboard
(2) Xeon X3355
(2) CPU Cooler (Don't know)
8Gb Kingston 800mhz FB-DIMM
(4) BFG 8800GT 512 OC
(3) Western Digital 640Gb RAID 5
Sony Blu-ray drive
Sony/Optiarc DVD-RW
Creative X-fi Titanium Fatality
7-10 120mm fans

Thanks!

Yes, the 1000W X3 is enough for that system. I would estimate it at around 70% of the PSU's capacity with everything at full load.

it's not a problem that it's on a single rail. multiple rails dont handle loads better if the sum of amps equals that of single rail's, it is really only a safety thing as an internal component working with such high currents may overheat.

it's not a problem that it's on a single rail. multiple rails dont handle loads better if the sum of amps equals that of single rail's, it is really only a safety thing as an internal component working with such high currents may overheat.

It's not an issue under any circumstances since the vast majority of multi-rail PSUs are actually just single-rail units with split rails and OCP anyway.

Back