• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will the future hold 1000000 WATT PSU's?

RancidWAnnaRIot

EspantaPajaros
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
11,033
Ok, so it seems like we just have to keep getting larger and larger PSU's..... when will it stop? will devices stop using so much power? Will i have to live next door to a nuclear plant to power my PC in a few years?

Anyone have a comment? Or am i just going crazy?
 
terrawatt (1000gigawatts, or 1000000megawatts, or 1000000000kilowatts, or 100000000000000 watts) yeah... that'll be the day we blow up the universe
 
PSU makers will continue to make larger and larger PSU's as long as nOObs continue to buy 600w PSU's when their "high-end" system really needs a 250w PSU lol.
 
Not all systems are like that... I have a 33 mhZ 386 computer with 4 MB of RAM and a 300 meg hard drive. It has a 200 W power supply. My main rig in my sig, an overclocked P4 @ 3006 mhZ and all of that has a 300 watt PSU. It don't think it's much of a problem really
 
yeah unless you're running a case made out of fans and running videocards... you don't need a 500 watt power supply
 
I can picture the computer power supply industry turning into what the car amp industry turned into. 1000 watt power supplies that are absolutely horrible and worth less than a good 300 watt power supply. Put a big number on the box and a low price on the tag and people will buy it.
 
I thought the FCC (or whoever) standard makes the max watts coming out of a wall socket at 1500watts? Maybe we'll have to start bridging PSU's together...
 
Originally posted by carlson
yeah unless you're running a case made out of fans and running videocards... you don't need a 500 watt power supply
now theres an idea,a whole case made of fans:cool:
 
Most power supply ratings are inflated by virtue of stating rated power at say 26 c internal temp. In reality most supplies will see 40 to 50 c internal temp.

Example : I had a high quality Antec True power 550 that was in real world terms 366watts @40C. So in fact when it comes down to it your correct you only need 250 to 350 watts but you have buy a high end 550 to get it. Unless you do what I did and go for a PC Power and Cooling PWS.

They rate thier supplies at a more realistic 40c. PC Power and Cooling's take on things.....


http://www.pcpowercooling.com/pdf/Turbo-Cool_510_vs.pdf

YesI am now a PC Power and Cooling Fan boy.its official lol
DSCN0537.jpg
 
I think after one point we'll see higher voltage and higher amperage psu's not just inflated wattage.
 
If I do decide to upgrade to a new PSU when I get my 6800 ultra, I think I'll be going for the turbo cool 510. But my PSU right now isn't that bad; it should hold out.
 
Popular Science has an article in this month's mag about nuclear-powered airplanes - only it's not the normal fission reactor, it's some sort of x-ray thing that doesn't split atoms, and once it's turned off is relatively harmless compared to a fission reactor. Maybe we will all have one of these in our homes soon....
 
No. As technology develops, it will also have to become more energy-efficient, so the power requirements will not rise indefinately. You can see this in the cpus of the last few years, even though there haven't been any huge changes.
 
Originally posted by DryFire
I think after one point we'll see higher voltage and higher amperage psu's not just inflated wattage.

Higher Voltage and higher current is higher wattage though..

P = IV ... Power is equal to current times voltage..?
 
Originally posted by Chicken Penni Pasta
Just wait for the Fusion PSU. It also gives you drinking water.

now just make one that does caffinee/ bawls and you will sell millions to the lan crowd
 
Originally posted by MooCow
I thought the FCC (or whoever) standard makes the max watts coming out of a wall socket at 1500watts? Maybe we'll have to start bridging PSU's together...

No, the reason you are limited to 1500 watts is because of the electrical code for the wiring in the house. It is wired for a 15amp 110V circuit. If you need more power to a spot use heavier gauge and wire for a 20amp/110V or go higher voltage and use 15amp/220V or really high 30amp/220V.

The electrical code places the power standard on the outlet type, you can tell the power type by the plug. 20amp/110V outlets can also accept 15amp/110V plugs, but NOT the other way around.
 
Originally posted by mayakindaguy
the new 6800's need a minimum of 480watt psu!!! :eek:
I bet you dollars to donuts that it will only truthfully need like 350w. People will have it running on things like that.
 
Originally posted by Mojo
I bet you dollars to donuts that it will only truthfully need like 350w. People will have it running on things like that.

Meh guesss I"ll never know, not touching nvidia with a 10ft pole for a while to come. I'mean unless R42x comes out of the shoot broken as..well a GeForce3...then it's gonna stomp the 6800s...
 
computers are moving towards using less and less electricity, so no. i dont see standard PSU's going over 500 watts, ever.
 
One thing to remember is the Power Convertion Factor.
How much of the power in ends up as power out and how much ends up as waste heat.

All things being equal in terms of quality of build. A larger supply running at well under it max load will have a better PCF than a smaller supply running at full load due to its running cooler.

So in the long run you can save money getting a quality 450W supply as opposed to a 300W one.

Just my £0.02 worth.

Luck........:D
 
I dont know much about PSU's besides specs but I can tell you this:

If video cards are coming out that REQUIRE a 450w powersupply, and TWO molex connectors, there damn well better be a step up in the power supply market as well. If not we're all hosed.
 
Most power supply ratings are inflated by virtue of stating rated power at say 26 c internal temp. In reality most supplies will see 40 to 50 c internal temp.

Well, the temperatures inside my computer are at 28C now. Does that mean my 350W Power Supply is actually, say, running at close to 350W, like at 330W?

I want to get the new ATI card that hopefully will use less power than the Nvidia one but - I'd rather not upgrade my PSU if I don't have to.
 
this is completely off topic.... but truepower 550's are complete shit

had one in a dual athlon system and it basically exploded on me. they are definitly not 550 watts
 
Originally posted by Risiko
Well, the temperatures inside my computer are at 28C now. Does that mean my 350W Power Supply is actually, say, running at close to 350W, like at 330W?

I want to get the new ATI card that hopefully will use less power than the Nvidia one but - I'd rather not upgrade my PSU if I don't have to.
Your power supply is running at whatever it needs to for the load on it. There are regulators and stuff inside the power supply that heat up quite a bit, so your case temperature isn't that accurate of a representation of the temperature inside the power supply. Case temps do have a lot to do with power supply temps, though, since a power supply pretty much just draws in the already hot air from the computer.
 
Originally posted by kremkill
weezer, yeah truepower 550's are shitty, fried one in a system about 3 monts ago
is the truecontrol 550 psu the same just with external pot control? or a different pcb layout?
 
Originally posted by carlson
yeah unless you're running a case made out of fans and running videocards... you don't need a 500 watt power supply

or your running 12 HDDs , 2 Opticals, Full PCI Slots, Dual CPUs, and populating all the RAM slots
or, Peltiers, Pumps, ChipChillers ect
(Keep in mind Motor start-up current is three to eight times the running current. And its inductive not capacitive)

Originally posted by MooCow
I thought the FCC (or whoever) standard makes the max watts coming out of a wall socket at 1500watts? Maybe we'll have to start bridging PSU's together...

How to Synch 2 ATX PSU Hardwired or Relay
How its done in an N+1 Redundant PSU
Power Supply System Integration Part 1: Single Source Fault Tolerant Power Systems @ Power Electronics Technology


Originally posted by jacuzz1
Most power supply ratings are inflated by virtue of stating rated power at say 26 c internal temp. In reality most supplies will see 40 to 50 c internal temp.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/pdf/Turbo-Cool_510_vs.pdf

Originally posted by Tigerbiten
One thing to remember is the Power Conversion Factor.
How much of the power in ends up as power out and how much ends up as waste heat.

All things being equal in terms of quality of build. A larger supply running at well under it max load will have a better PCF than a smaller supply running at full load due to its running cooler.

So in the long run you can save money getting a quality 450W supply as opposed to a 300W one.

^ 2 Important Points ;)

Originally posted by ilkka
No. As technology develops, it will also have to become more energy-efficient, so the power requirements will not rise indefinately. You can see this in the cpus of the last few years, even though there haven't been any huge changes.

and that is the real answer
consider this, you have a computer on your desktop today, that by various measures performs some multiple of useful work (be it MFLOPs) over its predecesors but the energy it employs to increase that measure is an overall decrease to the previous ratio
sure they are using more power, but they are also more effcient with what they do with that power.

the real problems are in the data center, where the density of computing power is taxing electrical and cooling infrastructure

Originally posted by jwill
i bet my power supply is bigger then yours. :rolleyes: sorry. :p

I think I can probably claim that title :p

which should I nominate?
got the 2 synch'd 400watts
PCP&C 510 AG
or the Zippy N+1 Redundant 640 watt
(which means that if I remove one of the three moduals, it will still do 640watts)

Oh I know, I'll nominate my AC to 48VDC (40amp) :p
(will power a few Telco Environment Appliances, but its not online yet
and in truth its infrastructure, not a PSU to a single device)


little reference
voltage regulation & transient resopnse long thread backtrack as well
takaman's Power Supply Calculator rev0.63
Choosing the right Power Supply
[H]ardcore PSU info < important
 
Originally posted by Risiko
Well, the temperatures inside my computer are at 28C now. Does that mean my 350W Power Supply is actually, say, running at close to 350W, like at 330W?

I want to get the new ATI card that hopefully will use less power than the Nvidia one but - I'd rather not upgrade my PSU if I don't have to.

No, i was refering to the internal temp of the power supply and not your case.
 
Originally posted by Ice Czar
or your running 12 HDDs , 2 Opticals, Full PCI Slots, Dual CPUs, and populating all the RAM slots
or, Peltiers, Pumps, ChipChillers ect
(Keep in mind Motor start-up current is three to eight times the running current. And its inductive not capacitive)



How to Synch 2 ATX PSU Hardwired or Relay
How its done in an N+1 Redundant PSU
Power Supply System Integration Part 1: Single Source Fault Tolerant Power Systems @ Power Electronics Technology






^ 2 Important Points ;)



and that is the real answer
consider this, you have a computer on your desktop today, that by various measures performs some multiple of useful work (be it MFLOPs) over its predecesors but the energy it employs to increase that measure is an overall decrease to the previous ratio
sure they are using more power, but they are also more effcient with what they do with that power.

the real problems are in the data center, where the density of computing power is taxing electrical and cooling infrastructure



I think I can probably claim that title :p

which should I nominate?
got the 2 synch'd 400watts
PCP&C 510 AG
or the Zippy N+1 Redundant 640 watt
(which means that if I remove one of the three moduals, it will still do 640watts)

Oh I know, I'll nominate my AC to 48VDC (40amp) :p
(will power a few Telco Environment Appliances, but its not online yet
and in truth its infrastructure, not a PSU to a single device)


little reference
voltage regulation & transient resopnse long thread backtrack as well
takaman's Power Supply Calculator rev0.63
Choosing the right Power Supply
[H]ardcore PSU info < important
;) ;)
 
Back
Top