• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will the Earthwatts 380 be enough?

Potatocodone

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
4,859
Well a friend's OCZ PSU needs an RMA and he needs a temporary PSU in the mean time. In the mean time I have a spare 380 earthwatts I can loan him. Not sure it will be enough but he pointed out eXtreme PSU calcuator rates his rig as 228 watts. No clue about amps. What do you guys think?

Here is his specs:

-Asus P5Q Pro
-e8400
-9800GT 512mb
-2x1gb OCZ
-500gb Seagate 32mb cache
-1x Sata DVD burner
-2x 120mm fan
 
yes, but I would recommend atleast a 450w psu. It will work, but probly not for that long. I ran a 380w earthwatts psu with an E2180 overclocked and an overclocked 8800gt. Never had any problems, but bought a new psu b/c I knew I was pushing its limits....risky
 
yes, but I would recommend atleast a 450w psu. It will work, but probly not for that long. I ran a 380w earthwatts psu with an E2180 overclocked and an overclocked 8800gt. Never had any problems, but bought a new psu b/c I knew I was pushing its limits....risky

You can get the earthwatts 500w psu for fairly cheap...
 
The EA380 will easily power the rig in the OP without breaking a sweat. Even under a torture load I'd wager close to 250W from the wall which is only a 65% load on the psu.
 
yes, but I would recommend atleast a 450w psu. It will work, but probly not for that long. I ran a 380w earthwatts psu with an E2180 overclocked and an overclocked 8800gt. Never had any problems, but bought a new psu b/c I knew I was pushing its limits....risky

You weren't pushing it all that hard actually.
 
I forgot to mention my friend is still new to building computers. He doesn't plan on over-clocking or adding more hard-drives or upgrade anything. Since newegg is selling the EA380 right now he is going to jump on it.

Thanks for the info guys.
 
As a temporary PSU, it should be fine for that system. Since capacitors wear over time, the unit's wattage will gradually decrease, and you don't want to run a system towards the max output of a power supply. You always want some breathing room.
 
380w is more than enough for any modern single GPU system. If you read my thread i posted here, my quad core system with a GTX 280 only uses ~330w under full load. The system you specified above will probably use 40-50w less than mine due to having 2 less cores and a less power hungry GPU.
 
I tried to use an Earthwatts 380 as a powersupply for one of my older Dual Xeon rigs, basically the equivalent of dual 3Ghz Northwood P4's, with 2gb ddr, and 1 hard drive, and an X800XTPE, the system wouldn't boot. Tried a 500watt antec and it powered up fine. I know the system only pulls like ~100 watts idle and no more than about 300 loading up both processors, I was surprised the 380 couldn't handle it since it has dual 12v rails, etc.
 
I forgot to mention my friend is still new to building computers. He doesn't plan on over-clocking or adding more hard-drives or upgrade anything. Since newegg is selling the EA380 right now he is going to jump on it.

Thanks for the info guys.

I´m running comparable components on a EA380:


E4300 @ 3ghz
Abit IP35 - E
HD3870
1 HD
1 DVDRW
4 x 1 gb DDR2
2 casefans

Powerconsumption:

Idle : ~77w ( from wallsocket )
Game: Crysis demo ~180w ( from wallsocket )
Maximum measured : ~208w (from wallsocket) ( orthos + ATItool)

Since the EA380s maximum efficiency is ~ 85 % ( 220v europe ) my components would at the most draw 208 * 0.85 = 176,8w from the PSU

EA380 is still a seasonic design as far as i know, the quality isnt quit up to for example corsair standards, but this is not a bad PSU and its totally pointless to buy a new one for that system.
Some here on [H] seem to think you need a nuclear powerplant for everything ;)
 
Probably Corsair's 1000w. Can't be TOO safe.

jk..

There was that thread on Overclock.net where the dude pushed his 8800GTX and his dual core (both really over clocked) on a antec EA380 and stressed tested it for like a week. Never had problems.
 
Yeah, it will do it. I might underclock and undervolt the e8400 just to be safe though.
 
Back
Top