• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will sunbeam core contact fit?

acidic

Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
952
I'm looking into getting the 120mm sunbeam core contact. According to the spec, it's 155mm (6.1inch) high. I have mid size atx case that is about 7inch wide at most from cover to cover. I also have a rather large northbridge heatsink on my mobo . Would the sunbeam fit on my setup? Is there any other cooler that I should look into that would fit?
 
It's a generic atx case, I can't even find the brand lol. But it's 7inch wide. The heatsink is about 1 1/4 inch
 
I wouldn't take a chance on it. Between the cpu, socket, mobo, standoffs, ect., you could easily have .5 inches or more. Too close for me.
 
Would XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 92mm Rifle be good for my needs? From the review I read, it seems like it can't be mounted to expel air to the rear exhaust for AMD sockets. But the dimension is smaller than the sunbeam..
 
Sunbeam has a Core Contact Freezer 92mm, it is a bit more compact and shorter at only 122mm high, it should definitely fit your case and board.
 
Sunbeam has a Core Contact Freezer 92mm, it is a bit more compact and shorter at only 122mm high, it should definitely fit your case and board.

Oh I didn't know about that, but are you sure it's 122mm high? When I google it, a review lists it as Dimensions(mm): 95 (L) ×80 (W) ×155 (H) . But froystytech says it's 122mm for some reason?
 
Oh I didn't know about that, but are you sure it's 122mm high? When I google it, a review lists it as Dimensions(mm): 95 (L) ×80 (W) ×155 (H) . But froystytech says it's 122mm for some reason?

I own one. It is most definitely 122mm high. Good review of it over on frostytech.
 
I use a server case, the sunbeam 120 is huge, from the top I can hardly see my memory.
 
Alright I finally bought the sunbeam 120mm version and it seem to fit in my case. But now I'm running into trouble actually clipping the dam thing on. It seems like the clip is too short for AM2+ boards, no matter how much pressure I use it always comes up short... Anyone have any experiences on installing this beast onto an AM2+ ?

edit:
perhaps my board have a non-standard retention bracket?? Should I try buying one and if so which?
my board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138143
 
Last edited:
After doing some googling, I found a reviewer that had the same problem as I'm running into right now:
http://www.futurelooks.com/sunbeamtech-core-contact-freezer-cpu-cooler-review/2/

My situation is similar to this:
core_contact_0011.jpg



But I see lots of other people installing successfully on am2 based on newegg reviews, what gives?
 
It takes quite a bit of force to clip down. Have you tried securing the problem side first?
 
It takes quite a bit of force to clip down. Have you tried securing the problem side first?

Yea I tried both sides, but it just always come up short. Just ran into another review with the same problem: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2008/07/15/sunbeamtech-core-contact-freezer/3

We attempted to mount the Core-Contact on AM2 socket motherboards but the mounting problems went from annoying to disastrous.

The cooler’s mount clips are identical for both socket LGA 775 and AM2, but on AM2 there was just no way the clip was going to reach the motherboard’s mounting bracket without unacceptable levels of force being applied. We tried every conceivable way we could think of to mount the cooler onto the AM2 bracket safely, but there just doesn’t seem to any way to do so without potentially damaging the heatsink, or the motherboard itself


5.jpg


Obviously something odd is going on here, because there's tons of other people with success on AM2 and frostytech didn't say a word about this...
 
Back
Top