• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will shaders unlock for this 6950?

Zion Halcyon

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 28, 2007
Messages
2,105
I believe this HIS 6950 is a reference card, but whether it is or isn't, need to know if I can unlock the shaders on it, if anyone knows - not looking to flash it to a 6970, just unlock shaders...
 
Pretty sure shader unlock doesn't work on the 1GB versions.
 
I believe this HIS 6950 is a reference card, but whether it is or isn't, need to know if I can unlock the shaders on it, if anyone knows - not looking to flash it to a 6970, just unlock shaders...

Yes I have one of those unlocked and overclocked well beyond 6970 speeds in my rig as I speak.

Pretty sure shader unlock doesn't work on the 1GB versions.

Um... that's a 2GB model he linked :confused:
 
Yes I have one of those unlocked and overclocked well beyond 6970 speeds in my rig as I speak.



Um... that's a 2GB model he linked :confused:

Whoa, not sure if he ninja edited or what, but a 1GB card came up for me when I first clicked that link.
 
Whoa, not sure if he ninja edited or what, but a 1GB card came up for me when I first clicked that link.

It's possible, anyway the to answer the uncertainty you had in the last post, the 1gb models definitely cannot unlock.
 
I believe this HIS 6950 is a reference card, but whether it is or isn't, need to know if I can unlock the shaders on it, if anyone knows - not looking to flash it to a 6970, just unlock shaders...

I have 2 of those exact cards and mine unlocked just fine. I got them this morning. Unlocked within an hour (wanted to play around with them stock :D )
 
The 1GB can unlock depending on what voltage regulator it uses. The 1GB reference uses the Volterra VT1586, and W1zzard posted that it is unlockable. Another TPU user has uploaded a modified BIOS for the 1GB with unlocked shaders and all PowerPlay functions intact.
 
The 1GB can unlock depending on what voltage regulator it uses. The 1GB reference uses the Volterra VT1586, and W1zzard posted that it is unlockable. Another TPU user has uploaded a modified BIOS for the 1GB with unlocked shaders and all PowerPlay functions intact.

Nice, I'll have to keep that in mind :D
 
I just ordered an HIS 2gb model as well. It's staring me down right now in my office. If it unlocks, 2 more on the way :D
 
Ha, I did a quick edit because I linked the wrong card - accidentally linked the 1gb model - the one i am getting is the 2gb model :p
 
I believe this HIS 6950 is a reference card, but whether it is or isn't, need to know if I can unlock the shaders on it, if anyone knows - not looking to flash it to a 6970, just unlock shaders...

You should buy it regardless, with the shader unlock you may gain a whole 1-3 fps, not worth it in my book.
 
You should buy it regardless, with the shader unlock you may gain a whole 1-3 fps, not worth it in my book.

True but with the shader unlocked and OC to 6970 speeds then you practically have a 6970 with a little bit slower memory.
 
Wow, the 1Ghz models have the potential to unlock. That is crazy! Guess I learned something new today.
 
The HIS 2gig I got today wont slow down from 100% fan lol.. its deafening! almost 6k rpm.. any ideas? It did unlock to 1536 tho :D
 
my card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523
so turns out the XFX 6950 1GB CAN be unlocked to 6970 shaders BUT its not smart to flash completely since the higher memory/voltage/timing changes can cause perm damage. i've officially unlocked to 1536 (6970) shaders! my GPU-Z:

91h3cy.jpg


this is from following this OP http://www.bitcoin.org/smf/index.php?topic=3475.0

edit: @XacTactX im not sure how to find out what voltage regulator... googling hasnt turned anything up just yet
 
Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what 6950 2gb to go with. I'll probably unlock the shaders, won't be doing the overclock though.

Can anyone suggest me a good card? I figured I'd ask here rather than open up a new thread.

*edit*

After some research, I'm leaning towards the XFX 6950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4150518&cm_re=xfx_6950-_-14-150-518-_-Product)

There are two 2gb 6950s listed, one has the heat sink at the rear (the link above), the other has a mid mounted fan (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4150530&cm_re=xfx_6950-_-14-150-530-_-Product)

Any pros/cons on the two? The feedback on the rear mounted fan version says it gets fairly loud, the mid mounted doesn't have much feedback.
 
Last edited:
I believe this HIS 6950 is a reference card, but whether it is or isn't, need to know if I can unlock the shaders on it, if anyone knows - not looking to flash it to a 6970, just unlock shaders...

True but with the shader unlocked and OC to 6970 speeds then you practically have a 6970 with a little bit slower memory.

Thats the plan.

Sooo....You're going to OC it? Or no? You seem to say both.:confused:
 
Back
Top