will running my chip OCed really damage it badly?

mtbaird

Gawd
im running my 2.4C at 3.0C speeds right now and the highest temp ive seen is 59 under heavy load with Prime95

if i plan to run it like this permanently how much will i damage the chip?

like give me an ammount of time it would run not OCed compared to with OCing?

the temps are taken on an Abit board which usually read higher, or so ive read

and im not touching any voltages at all, am i in trouble for the future with my chip?

My 3 Ghz P4 at 3.5 Ghz goes up to 64 C under load at 1.575 set in the BIOS. But Abit boards do show much higher temps than, for example, Asus boards. I think Abit measurements are right; Intel chips have thermal diodes right inside the chip, so don't be scared of those temps. Intel's own specifications say that temps up to 68 C are acceptable. Although I wouldn't go that high.

As to the lifetime of overclocked CPUs, don't worry. If you don't raise the Vcore to over 1.65 V and have decent cooling, your CPU will very probably last for many years.

I've been overclocking Intel CPUs for years and have never seen one die.

My friend has been using a 300 Mhz Celeron at 450 Mhz (with an increased voltage) for about five years now.

The battery on your motherboard would die first. Dont worry. buy the time that chip wears out, You wont care you'll be flying around in your jet car!!!

aight very nice guys thanks for the help

man OCing is really fun hahah, i feel like such a badass

If you haven't had to raise the voltage at all, you've got a pretty nice chip. Buy a good cooling setup and keep raising that FSB :cool:

woo hoo

ehh i think my cooling is the best its going to be, i dont like to change the HSF, it makes me nervous hehe

anway i wont be abel to OC mmuch more because my ram cant take to much

i would if i could hehe

but 3ghz seems aight for me heh

Back