Will router w/ USB port + USB Hard Drive = NAS?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I am wanting a NAS but dedicated NAS hard drives/enclosures are expensive. I also wan't to upgrade to a 802.11N router.
I have seen routers that have a USB port for a USB hard drive. Will this make for a poor mans NAS?

What is a good router that has the USB Port for a USB drive?

Stay away from the D-Link routers, their SharePort software fails big time.

Going to say the same for Belkin's offering, set one up for a client and was really annoyed to find that you had to install software to connect to the share... It worked, but I don't see why it couldn't just use smb like anything else.

You can get external HDDs with ethernet so don't need a new router. I have a 1TB HDD that has both ethernet and USB and it is named Netdisk NDAS and came with NDAS software too. It cost me about the same as any other external HDD.

I need something that doesn't require special software to connect to. Plan on getting a Set Top Box, looking at the Boxee Box currently but also considering others. Think I might just have to byte the bullet and go with a dedicated NAS, don't think I will need anything larger the 2tb.

Looking at what newegg has to offer and it seems the Synology branded units all have excellent ratings. a 2 disk unit for $200 seems like a good sweet spot and I can fit that into my budget. add a couple 1tb drives and I got more than enough storage for a while and can always upgrade later.
Synology Disk Station DS210j

Last edited:
Back