Will ReadyBoost work with SD Cards?

dreamcast87

Limp Gawd
I know it works with usb flash drives so it should work with SD cards as well right? did anyone test this out yet?

Yep, it does, and I've used it with a PNY 1GB SD card in a Gateway laptop as well as an OCZ 2GB SD card as well.

When you insert the SD card the first time, Vista will test it for read/writes speeds and ReadyBoost compatibility. If it's compatible and usable, you'll see an option on the dialogue box that pops up listing ReadyBoost as a capability. Click that, choose how much space to assign, and you're off.

If you don't get that popup dialogue box, after you insert the SD card and Vista has recognized it and says it's ready for usage, right click on the SD card's icon in Explorer and choose Properties. If you see a ReadyBoost tab, it's compatible - go to that tab and set the amount of space you want used by the ReadyBoost cache.

thanks for the fast response i'm guessing the faster the read/write speed on the card the better right?

Yeah, but there's a minimum requirement. Anything above that is obviously icing on the cake.

One tip I can provide because it mattered in my case with the 2GB SD card: make sure, make damned sure you have the very latest media card reader drivers. Almost every media card reader on the market today uses a Texas Instruments chipset, and the drivers most people get from the manufactuer's site - whoever made the card reader or whatever device it's in, be it a desktop or a laptop - usually has older drivers.

That's what happened with my Gateway laptop recently. The default drivers from Gateway were not fast enough or efficient enough to allow me to use that 2GB card for ReadyBoost duties. I went on a search and located the latest - even newer than the Gateway drivers - and afterwards retested the SD card and got the performance necessary to enable ReadyBoost on it.

Just a tip...

sometimes i feel dumb. My e1405 has a SD card reader built in. I have a spare 2 gig SD card. NEVER crossed my mind to readyboost it. Duh. :)

Well stick that sucker in and give it 1GB of space. For some reason, the design of ReadyBoost makes it work more efficiently when you match one of the following ratios:

- 1x the physical chip RAM, for a 1:1 ratio (i.e., 1GB of chip RAM works best with a 1GB ReadyBoost cache)
- 2.5x the physical chip RAM for a 2.5:1 ratio (i.e., 1GB of RAM works best witha 2.5GB ReadyBoost cache)

Haven't been able to find out precisely why these are the recommendations, but I'm going to take a stab at it logically and say it maps the memory better that way, or something to that effect. :p

The ReadyBoost Readiness Guide and some blogs from the developers of the ReadyBoost subsystem in Vista all say pretty much the same thing, too.

ok i still can't it to work i have a dell inspiron 640m E1405, vista home premium 32bit, t2050 1.6ghz,1gig ddr2 ram.

the sd card i have is kingston 2gb and i still can't get the readyboost to work i have the most recent drivers for the Ricoh R5C832 chipset in my system but still nothing can anyone help? thanks

Back