• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will RAID 0+1 be faster than RAID 1?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
15,461
I've got a RAID 1 array. It's slower than Christmas. I need more speed, but the simplistic redundancy of RAID 1. Will a RAID 0+1 get me better speeds while maintaining a decent ammount of fault-tolerance?
 
RAID 1+0 is supposed to be the better choice, at least from everything I've read (I don't run RAID, so I don't have real experience).
 
It really depends on the controller, some support reading from both discs simultaneously in a raid 1 array. But it definately won't improve your write performance.
 
RAID 1+0 is better, but not necessarily faster.

What is your setup? What kind of disks? How many? What controller are you using? How is the data being accessed, and what kind of data is it?
 
The setup is four 80GB Hitachi SATA disks, 8MB of cache, 7200RPM. The controller is the Intel ICH7R Matrix RAID controller.

I am looking for increased write speeds, unfortunately. :(
 
RAID 10 or 0+1 will give you a higher STR in theory. If you are saying that your RAID-1 is slow, it could be that your controller is not good at handling RAID-1 (I do not know). Whether RAID 10/0+1 will increase the performance for your application depends on this application's disk access patterns.

Here's some background info:
RAID 10/01
RAID 1

Performance of R1:
Random Read Performance: Good. Better than a single drive but worse than many other RAID levels.
Random Write Performance: Good. Worse than a single drive, but better than many other RAID levels.
Sequential Read Performance: Fair; about the same as a single drive.
Sequential Write Performance: Good; again, better than many other RAID levels.

Performance of RAID 10/01:
Random Read Performance: Very good to excellent.
Random Write Performance: Good to very good.
Sequential Read Performance: Very good to excellent.
Sequential Write Performance: Good to very good.
 
0+1/10 (whichever variant your controller supports) is your only choice for providing fault tolerance and increasing write throughput. If that doesn't get it done with your existing hardware, it's time to start looking at a real RAID controller (HighPoint, Areca, etc)

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Pick 2.
 
Back
Top