Will PPU's be like GPU's?

Chops

Limp Gawd
What do you guys think? Do you think we'll be seeing new/revised units every 6-8 months on them like we do now with video cards?

I doubt that frequently, but if a standard API is chosen that works well we may see different types available like we have GPUs now.

This will be an evolving thing, think back to the Voodoo1, that is where the "PPU" will be this year. Over the years it will evolve into who knows what, if it turns out anything like GPUs we'll have many different options in front of us.

Right now you have Havok and Ageia fighting for the win, we may see Microsoft step in as well. Who will come out on top is yet to be seen, we all know who won out between Glide, OpenGL and DirectX.....

Brent_Justice said:
I doubt that frequently, but if a standard API is chosen that works well we may see different types available like we have GPUs now.

This will be an evolving thing, think back to the Voodoo1, that is where the "PPU" will be this year. Over the years it will evolve into who knows what, if it turns out anything like GPUs we'll have many different options in front of us.

Right now you have Havok and Ageia fighting for the win, we may see Microsoft step in as well. Who will come out on top is yet to be seen, we all know who won out between Glide, OpenGL and DirectX.....

Ahhh DirectX ftw

I believe they will be a lot like soundcards, a new and "improved" model every year or so.

saturnine2 said:
I believe they will be a lot like soundcards, a new and "improved" model every year or so.

i certainly hope this is the case... comps upgrades are expensive enough already

I really dont like the whole completely dependent on novodex api system that ageia has. I know that there arent exactly millions of different ppu's out there, but that doesnt mean that there should be such a proprietary and specific to gaming api for the thing.

Lord of Shadows said:
I really dont like the whole completely dependent on novodex api system that ageia has. I know that there arent exactly millions of different ppu's out there, but that doesnt mean that there should be such a proprietary and specific to gaming api for the thing.

Remember DirectX?

Naw...I'll get my PPU, and then wait for inevitable PPU waterblock or something. Then the inevitable OC tools will come, etc. :D

Technically there is big difference.
AGEIA's PPU is 100% programmable.
Functions (rigid bodies eg.) are implemnted via the drivers.
A DX9 grahpis card, cannot be turned into a WGF2.0 graphis card via a driver update, so AGEIA's PhysX processr is very differnt form a videocard on the hardware level.

I all for PPU's but I think that it migth take years for PPU's to become the "norm"...
But there could also come a game that realy rocks the socks of people..and makes it a must.

Terra - No matter what there is exciting times ahead :)

About the PPU life cycle: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029195968&postcount=33

- - - - - - - -

PsichoDM said:
btw who wants to bet they'll come up with an AIPU in a few years?

This AIseek AIPU thing has been going on for a while and they did a proper launch of their site a few days a go.

"AIseek’s Intia processor is the world’s first AI accelerator"

http://www.aiseek.com
AIseek - Intelligence for New Worlds (PDF)

There's demo videos etc..

Here's the first news article about AIseek's AIPU in September 1, 2005: New AI Chip Would Make Games Smarter

- - - - - - - -

Also... this announcement about using the PhysX PPU for AI is interesting too.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8627
AI.implant Version 4.0 Breaks New Ground for Game Developers (PDF)

[...] Moreover, AI.implant 4.0 works with the powerful physics processing of the AGEIA PhysX processor to create even more realistic and unpredictable dynamic in-game experiences.

Wow, with all these add-ins we'll eventually see "integrated" (read:craptastic) versions of these, not to mention motherboards so full of crap that there's no ROOM in the case for things like SATA RAID controllers.... AI cards? No thanks, I don't think that's gonna fly. However, I would be really annoyed of PPU's come out like GPUs (Oh yeah? Well my PhysX 2000 Ultra beats your PhysX 1600PT) because it's already annoying enough to have one part that becomes useless in a year (that is, you cannot max out settings about a year after a vidcard's launch, maybe it's a year and a half but vidcards have a damn short life in the spotlight. Remember when the 6800 Ultra/intro of SLI were big?)

Back