Will overclocking even help me?

Qwertyman

2[H]4U
here's the deal i wanna overclock but i'm not just seeing the point to it for me. I'm running what u see below, and i don't think overclocking will help me anyway fps wise or anything else. I just bought 246 dollar PMI Turbo 3200 gig ram and i'm thinking off returning it because if i'm not gonna see any noticeable difference whats the point i'll just return it. what u guys think i should do try and overclock or return the ram and stick with stock?

why wouldn't overclocking help you?

I mean, you can't expect a doubling of performance, but you WILL see higher FPS and better performance in CPU-intensive applications.

Depends on what you use the computer for.

well gaming and stuff but i'm slowed down by my graphics anyway so 5 or 6 more fps isn't gonna help me.

overclock the graphics card maybe?

I don't know if it's worth spending extra money for quality RAM in your case, but performing some mild overclocking certainly won't hurt.

On AMD Mobile barton 2500+ default settings, i get 17000 score in 3dmark01se, with the overclock i have now, i get 18688, pretty big jump and its worth it if you ask me, but I have a relatively large overclock also.

If you primarily use your computer for gaming, your money would be better spent on a video card upgrade.

Qwertyman said:
well gaming and stuff but i'm slowed down by my graphics anyway so 5 or 6 more fps isn't gonna help me.

That seems backwards. 5 or 6 more fps should be a major improvement if you're suffering from poor fps. If you're getting 200 fps, an extra few won't give you much, but, for example, going from 24 up to 30 would be a big improvement.

Quickest way to better video-card performance is (surprise) a better video-card since CPU and RAM upgrades will not add enough FPS to justify the price compared to a video card.

Anchor...what the hell is that PC3000 RAM configuration running at 245 FSB? 15-11: what do those numbers stand for? What voltage is your DIMM? And what does CPC even do?

I'm asking because I'm buying a DFI that does 250FSB, and have PC3000 HyperX in my system.

Oh, and what does the wire mod refer to?

Back