Will Oracle and MySQL play nice together?

hitokiri

Limp Gawd
I currently have Oracle Database 10g installed on my system. In that database I have a database or two created with multiple tables and records. I want to start experimenting with MySQL, but i'm afraid that the two will cause conflicts with one another, will this happen? If so, what kind of problems and what can I do to fix it? The MySQL version I plan to install is the 5.0 version available for download now.

Thanks

- hito

They are completely independent of each other, So I doubt they would cause any problems. In the past Ive had them both running on the same server along with postgreSQL.

As was mentioned they are independant so the only time you could potentially get a conflict is if you ran it on the same port, 3306 for mysql default, not sure what Oracle runs on, but im certain that both can change port which gets around that problem easily.
I ran Oracle 8 and MySQL 4 whilst I was in college (my computer ran like a 486 mindu) so i dont see why it wouldnt be possible with newer versions.

Thank you for the replies, I just installed MySQL and it seems to work just fine. The UI doesn't look as nice as Oracle though. Just looks like your basic grey on black command prompt :)

hitokiri said:
Thank you for the replies, I just installed MySQL and it seems to work just fine. The UI doesn't look as nice as Oracle though. Just looks like your basic grey on black command prompt :)

If you want a decent UI, there's several available.
From the MySQL people, there's MySQL Administrator (graphical, windows/linux/MacOS X).
There's also phpMyAdmin if you want a web interface. (It requires a web server with PHP with MySQL support.)

HHunt said:
If you want a decent UI, there's several available.
From the MySQL people, there's MySQL Administrator (graphical, windows/linux/MacOS X).
There's also phpMyAdmin if you want a web interface. (It requires a web server with PHP with MySQL support.)
I use phpMyAdmin and it works great.

Back