Will OC CPU kill other compoents?

jaboo

Weaksauce
I am currently OC' my Athlon XP 2800 to (12.5 x 178) 2.2 Gz (XP3200 yipee). I have not needed to increase voltage. I did try running at 180 FSDB, but within a minute Prime95 had errors. But, when I backed down to 178, ran Prime for 24hrs, no problems. And, temps are 44 to 45 C at full load.

My question is that I have been doing some reading on the internet and I am worried that OC the FSB is going to "F" up my system. I know that increasing FSB OC the whole system bus. This affects AGP, PCI, and IDE by OC them too. I am a gamer but I do a ton Excel, and Access programming and macros development. And, I hate to admit this but now I kinda worried I will be working on a project for 3 hours and then "BAM". Error in the coding or reports that I generate via V-Basic and macros. Do any of you guys have OC machines and do truely intensive, work related (ie makes you money) stuff. running prime95 for 24hrws. w/ out errors makes me feel a little better. Is your OC machine just your gaming rig and you use a separate machine that is not OC for work.

You can lock your AGP/PCI so it doesn't affect...As long as your temps are decent and you are stable, the overclock is good...

Originally posted by jamezzz122
You can lock your AGP/PCI so it doesn't affect...As long as your temps are decent and you are stable, the overclock is good...

Not all motherboards will or can lock the PCI bus.

jaboo, if your pc runs Prime95 or whatever other burn-in/stability testing program you prefer, and is stable, then it most likely isn't going to screw up while doing simple tasks like spreadsheet operations. Keep in mind though, if ambient temps increase (like with the seasons) then your current overclock may no longer be stable.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
Not all motherboards will or can lock the PCI bus.

jaboo, if your pc runs Prime95 or whatever other burn-in/stability testing program you prefer, and is stable, then it most likely isn't going to screw up while doing simple tasks like spreadsheet operations. Keep in mind though, if ambient temps increase (like with the seasons) then your current overclock may no longer be stable.

well, first of all he hasnt told us the mobo

and 2nd of all, every AMD board I have seen doesnt have an option to lock the PCI bus....

its automatically locked all the time if its a newer one (like a year old at the most)

Some people have corrupted thier hard drives with a really high FSB.

I think it messes with the ide controller.
Never had it happen to me though.

I have the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. And, yes I can lock the AGP. But, I can't lock the PCI or IDE. I decided to just back it down back to a vanilla 2800XP. If all did was game (now that would be sweet job), I would keep it as is. But, I can't afford for an integer miscalulation from an Excel Macro I wrote that contains important financial info. Maybe I'll just OC to brag to friends when the come over. Thanks far all your opinions.

If you set your AGP to "auto" in the bios, that will lock the AGP and PCI/IDE busses also!
The PCI/IDE buss will always run at 1/2 the AGP !

If you set your AGP to "auto" in the bios, that will lock the AGP and PCI/IDE busses also!

Does that mean if I lock my AGP at 66mhz that my PCI and IDE are going to run at 33mhz? Or does it only work when you use the "AUTO" setting?

Yeah locking your AGP at 66 will lock the PCI to 33 so no chance of damaging hard drives or anything.

Back