Will nvidia EVER fix the shimmering problem?

heh u people must be blind. i see this damned shimmering highly annoying. traded my 6800 gt for a x800 pro the other day, waiting on x800 pro to arrive.

why?

video processor borked (hell dvd's lagged)
shimmering

i knew i shouldnt have tried nvidia. should of sticked with what i know works.

Well, i know what people are talking about with the "shimmering." It has to do with AF as if you force it off, you don't get it anymore. It seems to mostly be independant of AA for me, although it seems in some games running both makes it more noticable.

It is also much more noticable at resolutions under 1280x1024. However, if you crank the settings to high quality or very high quality instead fof performance or balanced, it pretty much goes away.

also, oddly enough, it appears to be more of a problem in games where you have to force the features on or off in the drivers rather than from inside the game.

Farcry and CS:S have it much less than anything else, and have full control in the game of AA and AF. Ut2k4 with maps with sand textures has it worst.

I've found a happy medium with very minor LOD tweaks and leaving thequality setting at high quality. I would like a fix from NVIDIA though, as they seem to be taking care of everything else on the screen pretty well except for that one band. I'd have to imagine the performance hit of getting that band looking right would be less than me turning off all opts.

For me resolution and AF does not matter. Its horrible in any light.

ok i have bin playing around with this and i only see it in CS:S and the stress test every thing else i try looks good Doom3 Farcry UT2K4 and NFS:U
so i dont know whats up and i get bad white lines at poly seams in CS:S with AA on WTF >.< i turn AA off and thay go away any one else seen this?

I'm honostly starting to think, after threads across places such as hardcoreware.net, futuremark's forums, beyond3d, bjorn3d, all of those places that thing is wide spread, but on a system per system basis. Some people have it SEVERLY, some people have it moderatly, some people don't have it. Nvidia definitly needs to fix this. I guess I'm lucky not to have it :confused:

like i was saying im only seeing it in CS:S + the odd seamlines with AA on that piss's me off >.<

I was just playing sof2 and I decided to take some time to look for the problem (especially the moire issues) I could not replicate any of them on any textures and did not see a single amount of flickering. (and I do know what the flickering looks like, I only see it when I have aniso opts on, and in a few instances with tri opts, but in most games I run in HQ mode, so have no opts and no errors) I think that because this varies from system to system, application to application, and even driver to driver, it is probably an issue with the driver applying opts it shouldn't, and disabling the opts doesn't work because some sort of system conflict (or driver conflict) is preventing the opts from being properly disabled. (trilinear opts can sometimes cause the moire pattern I believe)

still no one knows whats up with the white seam lines in CS:S with AA on?

I haven't actually seen them (don't have the game) but that sounds like a texture seam error to me. (texture not being stretched properly) but it could be a glitch resulting from the AA workarounds that the game uses to avoid AA borking the shaders. If that is the case then expect a fix either from valve or Nvidia soon

well heres a screen cap of it it gos away when i turn AA off
thats at 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF

edit:
heres same rez no AA 8xAF

Hang on a sec.. Just watched the two .avi's referenced on the first page.. What exactly am I missing here, I don't see anything that would make the game unplayable.

Elios said:

well heres a screen cap of it it gos away when i turn AA off
thats at 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF

I had that problem when using any of the 66.xx drivers. I downgraded to the 65.73 whql drivers and the problem is gone.

As for the shimmering issue. I see it, but for some reason it just doesn't bother me that much. I hope nvidia fixes it though.

From the whole time of having my 6800 GT I swear I haven't noticed a single problem.

i know what you mean by shimmering, i think its a problem with there AF or trillinear or something, because if u switch around teh AF while the game is runnin sometimes it fixes it for a bit. very very strange, and very very irritating in FS2004. i wonder how hard it is to hack drivers lol

if anyone still doesnt know what he means, ill fire up fraps and make a vid in FS2004 for all you, it only happens when you barrel roll, or tilt lol

I have a 6800GT and yes it is an issue but it depends on the game, drivers, AF, and optimizations.

In painkiller it is very noticable, but in Doom3, however, there is no shimmering at all. Also, I have tried nearly every beta driver nvidia has released and I have found the 65.73's eliminate a lot of it. Also, turn all the texture optimizations off! Also, if you enable 16tap aniso the shimmering dissapears completely.

I haven't noticed it myself, running usually at 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 with all eye candy.

And no, I'm not high and/or drunk all day... least not in recent memory. :D

That is with an e-vga 6800gt. I have an x800pro in another machine that I run at 1368x768(proj)and I don't see it doing any better of a job.

All 6800-series hardware might have this issue, but I feel pretty comfortable that it doesn't appear at all resolutions and all IQ settings. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Yeah I get it also. BFG 6800gt.

1280x1024 in Call of Duty. Horrible. I can play but it still sucks.

I play all my games in 1280x1024 with 4xAA/8xAF at HQ and have never seen the "shimmering" in any game! :)

Terra - Disproving that this applies to "all" 6800 owners...

Edit: Spelling bugs ;)

Well I noticed what I think was shimmering in CS:S. The textures on the floor looked messed up, kinda bent like. I messed with AF, set it to TRI and it was fine, then I maxed it out and it was fine.

Shimmering gone for me, and it never really even bothered me.

Cali3350 said:
I really am starting to get at my wits end here. Its been what, 6 months since launch? STILL the shimmering continues. The latest drivers have it WORSE then before. This bug makes some games completely unplayable, and leaves noticeable artifacts in countless others. i really am upset about this, nvidia doesnt even seem to acknoledge the problem. I really would like answers about this, and i want them now. Brent, Kyle, whoever, i PLEAD to you to get Nvidia to comment on this.

Sounds like to me your card is malfuntioning.

d34dly said:
Yeah I get it also. BFG 6800gt.

1280x1024 in Call of Duty. Horrible. I can play but it still sucks.

Yeah, I've been playing around with the BFG 6800gt. Great card as far as speed, but I get intense shimmering on BF42, as others have posted. I especially noticed it playing the Desert Combat mod. Whenever I zoom in with the sniper or m16 you see alot of shimmering in the background. Same thing is noticed on Far Cry as well. I'm still debating on whether to take the card back because of this, it really detracts from everything. Especially for the price you pay.

Some say they have it, some say they dont. Whether or not those that dont simply dont play games it affects/ simply dont realize they have it / really dont have it i dont know, but for MANY people, its VERY obvious and can make some games simply awful. Nvidia refuses to even comment on this. Im not sure they even know about this. It really, REALLY pisses me off.

Why don't you guys just contact the technical support for either your manufacturer or even nVidia and see what they say?

Cali3350 said:
Some say they have it, some say they dont. Whether or not those that dont simply dont play games it affects/ simply dont realize they have it / really dont have it i dont know, but for MANY people, its VERY obvious and can make some games simply awful. Nvidia refuses to even comment on this. Im not sure they even know about this. It really, REALLY pisses me off.

Give them about 2 driver revisions, if they don't fix it by that time, then you know something else is up.

If I drop down to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200, I can easily reproduce the shimmering effect in the CS:Source stresstest. Thankfully there is no noticeable shimmering at 1920x1200.

From that last video posted I can see what he means. The whole area by the crosshair (horizontally, including the mountains) shimmers and comes alive as the person is walking. If this is not what he's talking about, then I don't see it or am looking in the wrong place.

Cali3350 said:

You realize you have a 6 page thread of only you complaining right? ;)

I play at 1600x1200 and I haven't noticed any shimmering, perhaps its some weird settings combination you are using?

Elios said:
still no one knows whats up with the white seam lines in CS:S with AA on?

From what I ahve seen it is an issue with a few beta drivers and CS:S. Possibly system/install specific. It isn't related to the shimmering problem.

tranCendenZ said:

I play at 1600x1200 and I haven't noticed any shimmering, perhaps its some weird settings combination you are using?

You obviously haven't read the thread, he's far from alone.

MFZ said:
You obviously haven't read the thread, he's far from alone.

I'm the alone one ;)

I see a lot of people posting his problem on other boards

im a DC tester and i almost reported the shimmering as a bug lol. i did notice that the shimmering dissapears at 16x aa

tranCendenZ said:

I play at 1600x1200 and I haven't noticed any shimmering perhaps its some weird settings combination you are using?

This is called F-A-N-B-O-Y pride.. Anyone that knows who you are would never expect you to come out and acknowledge this issue..

I get shimmering too only in CS. But if I set image settings to high quality, it totally goes away.

Too bad HIGH QUALITY doesn't work for you. Works for me. Sorry.

Maybe something is forcing you to use a lower quality, maybe rivatuner, I don't know I'm guessing.

Emret said:
This is called F-A-N-B-O-Y pride.. Anyone that knows who you are would never expect you to come out and acknowledge this issue..
Hahhahahaha, I bet they pay him good money to lie...

Anyone right now who is playing bf1942 and do not see the shimmering on the floor have to be from another world...

HeavenX said:
Hahhahahaha, I bet they pay him good money to lie...

Anyone right now who is playing bf1942 and do not see the shimmering on the floor have to be from another world...

H@ll yeah! I've seen two 6800gt's with the same problem. Nvidia is fast but the shimmering sux. Who wants to pay $400 for a card that makes the game looks like crap. BTW the 2d on the 6800gt sux too :D
But the truth is you don't have many options as the x800 is built on older architecture and may not be as futureproof. Although for current games the x800 looks better then nvidea. Hopefully one of the betas will clear up the problems but I'm skeptical.

Back