Will nvidia EVER fix the shimmering problem?

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
I really am starting to get at my wits end here. Its been what, 6 months since launch? STILL the shimmering continues. The latest drivers have it WORSE then before. This bug makes some games completely unplayable, and leaves noticeable artifacts in countless others. i really am upset about this, nvidia doesnt even seem to acknoledge the problem. I really would like answers about this, and i want them now. Brent, Kyle, whoever, i PLEAD to you to get Nvidia to comment on this.

I agree, I have the 77's and have not noticed any shimmering, and I play a lot of games, currently playing ut2004, bf1942/nam, SW-BF, Farcry, Doom3. Bfg 6800gtoc here.

Cali3350 said:
61.77, 65.73, 66.51, 68xx
read the above threads and youll see it happens on all driver sets.

I know its there, but its less on those drivers, ya might want to set you LOD level down a bit too.

I dun have any of the above problems with any of the above games on any of the above drivers... I dunno.

rancor said:
I know its there, but its less on those drivers, ya might want to set you LOD level down a bit too.

Yes, lets lower image quality on $400 cards to fix the problem :rolleyes:

there are daily threads about it at NVEWS, and Dave (Beyond3d) mentioned that in a upcomming article with a 6600GT hes doing Painkiller is almost unplayable because of it.

vacuum the instead of your computer out, get that fairy dust out

that outta stop your damn shimmering

I don't notice much shimmering, running 66.81 betas, though I have aniso opts off in most games, and tri opts off in those where I can take the perf hit and still max out settings. try turning opts off.

I really don't know what you're talking about...I've been using a eVGA GT since late July..

I use HQ. All opts off by default. The above videos are with opts off aswell.

ya know i run with almost everything on
and i still don't see what your shimmering prob is

I have not noticed any texture shimmering on my Gainward 6800GT GS using the 61.77 drivers.. And from those pics and threads, I wouldn't count that as texture shimmering, but just normal line aliasing.. This is a fact of all cards and all games.. Crank up the resolution, turn on AA, and poof!!! problem solved.. I hope that you are doing this if you dropped $400+ on a video card..

texture shimmering is more like an entire texture flashing on and off.. say like a section of a wall in a background of a game flashing.. All those threads show is line aliasing.. and depending on how the lines in the games are made, they may not get aliased by today's AA methods..

I have never seen any shimmer problems. From what I see it's only a hand full of people. For some reason I think it could be hardware.

Barnaby said:
I have not noticed any texture shimmering on my Gainward 6800GT GS using the 61.77 drivers.. And from those pics and threads, I wouldn't count that as texture shimmering, but just normal line aliasing.. This is a fact of all cards and all games.. Crank up the resolution, turn on AA, and poof!!! problem solved.. I hope that you are doing this if you dropped $400+ on a video card..

texture shimmering is more like an entire texture flashing on and off.. say like a section of a wall in a background of a game flashing.. All those threads show is line aliasing.. and depending on how the lines in the games are made, they may not get aliased by today's AA methods..

Play Painkillers new demo and tell me thats normal texture aliasing. Its absolutely horrible, and MANY people have reported the same problems.

Cali3350 said:
Play Painkillers new demo and tell me thats normal texture aliasing. Its absolutely horrible, and MANY people have reported the same problems.

i didn't get any shimmering from the new demo
both high res with AA and AF and low res with nothing on..
i have no idea what your prob is

[RIP]Zeus said:
i didn't get any shimmering from the new demo
both high res with AA and AF and low res with nothing on..
i have no idea what your prob is

Watch the videos, the problem is very evident.

sorry bro
i do not see this shimmering issue you are having

i am playing it right now, and posting on my other comp
i do not see any of that

Cali3350 said:
I use HQ. All opts off by default. The above videos are with opts off aswell.

I don't know what to tell ya man. I know some people have it and some people don't. It's not nessicarly a fact of noticing it -- many people just straight up don't have it. Sorry; good luck.

[RIP]Zeus said:
sorry bro
i do not see this shimmering issue you are having

i am playing it right now, and posting on my other comp
i do not see any of that

Well your lucky. Many people are complaining very loudly about it. If it WAS a hardware bug, im very curious how Nvidia will deny it. :rolleyes:

at work, so I can't try the Painkiller demo..

But for what it's worth, it could be a problem with the demo itself.. I tried the earlier demo's, and they have bugs in it, where the game would render things incorrectly, and the sounds would get stuck, replaying a specific sound..

Same goes for the demo of Far Cry, where I couldn't hear the enemies talk or fire at me..

But both retail versions of the game work fine.. So, I don't put much faith in the quality of a demo.. And in this case, you said this video was done on a 6600, right? so uh.. how does this apply to the shimmering problem that is supposedly plagueing 68xx cards??

i guess call me an idiot to
but i see nothing in those vids

Look in the geometry, where the L corner of a block meets, usually looking at the upward angle, and you'll see what seems to be almost un antialiased, even if it's fully on. I've never had it since my GeForce 2, and that's with both ATI and GeForce cards.

If you look about Half-way up int he vids youll see horrible texture aliasing. Its there regardless of AA and AF level, always the exact same spot. VERY noticeable in some games, and this is the only card i know that experiences the issue.

Dont know what to tell you guys, I dont see a thing.

Are you talking about T-junction error sparklies, or aliased edges?

Lord of Shadows said:
Dont know what to tell you guys, I dont see a thing.

Are you talking about T-junction error sparklies, or aliased edges?
Im shocked you dont see it personally. The second row of columns on the elft viewable to the player. Look right to the right of that. horrible aliasing, and its not evident on every other machine i have here expect those with 6800's)

eh, vid's won't play on the puters at work.. guess they MPEG4 encoded or something..

Back