Will nVidia cease production of the 8800GT?

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
With such little performance difference between the 9600GT and 8800GT it seems to me that most people will either save some money and go with the 9600GT, or make a more noticable jump to the 8800GTS 512. What are your thoughts on this possibility? I only ask becuase I already have an 8800GT and may snag another one for SLI in the future.

i would argue that the 8800gt probably still outsells both the 9600gt and the 8800gts 512, especially now that you can actually buy it at prices that arent ridiculously inflated

dont know what nvidia plans to do, but i havent heard anything about the 9800gt in months (and last thing i did hear was that it'd be slightly slower than an 8800gt) so i think its still a ways off

dont know what nvidia plans to do, but i havent heard anything about the 9800gt in months (and last thing i did hear was that it'd be slightly slower than an 8800gt) so i think its still a ways off

This is obviously wrong, as the 9600GT is only slightly slower than the 8800GT, so the 9800GT would have to be faster, or the naming scheme wouldn't make any sense at all.

but look at the 8800gts 512, not much faster. they may be trying to widen the distance between the 2 this time around. the powerful/affordable 8800gt may have been a "fluke" nvidia is trying to weed out. so maybe...slightly slower/same speed as the 8800gt, with a 9800gts that'll yield a significant performance increase.

anyway, all just rumour. i dont even recall what site i heard that rumour from.

You can still buy the 5, 6 and 7 series cards, so I think it will take quite some time for the 8 series to be discontinued, including the 8800GT. If any card is to be discontinued 'soon' I'd expect it to be the higher-end GTS/GTX cards.

You can still buy the 5, 6 and 7 series cards, so I think it will take quite some time for the 8 series to be discontinued, including the 8800GT.

Those are all discontinued cards -- they're no longer made, they're just still in stock some places.

Those are all discontinued cards -- they're no longer made

No, they are still made. That is why they aren't out of stock everywhere. They are just made in small quantities now.

This is obviously wrong, as the 9600GT is only slightly slower than the 8800GT, so the 9800GT would have to be faster, or the naming scheme wouldn't make any sense at all.

The 9800 GT might or might not be faster than the 8800 GT, but its main difference is that the former will have two SLI "golden fingers" and can be used in tri-SLI, whereas the 8800 GT can't. Not that many will take advantage of it, but that plus a new name (9-series, woot :p) is reason enough for NVIDIA to launch it, even if it's not any (or much) faster.

Prices been dropping since xmas really, seeing lots of rebates and such now.

And my 7800GTs lasted a good long while, thanks. ;) Can't wait for my MSI 8800GT OC to arrive! :)

According to FS 8800GT is being replaced by 9600GT seems strange though as there is no 9800 GT but we do have a 9800GTX on the horizon so we would have 9600GT and 9800GTX but what about GTS? Maybe a new 9800GT takes the place of 8800GTS?

With such little performance difference between the 9600GT and 8800GT it seems to me that most people will either save some money and go with the 9600GT, or make a more noticable jump to the 8800GTS 512. What are your thoughts on this possibility? I only ask becuase I already have an 8800GT and may snag another one for SLI in the future.

Not sure what you are talking about. The 8800GT 512MB is "around" 20% faster than the 9600GT.

Some of the reviews compare the 256MB version of the 8800GT which of course is substantially slower than the 512MB version, and I think this is where people like you are becoming confused. Some of the reviews also compare a OC 9600 to a stock 8800GT which is misleading as the 8800GT also overclocks nicely.

The 8800GTS is around $80-90 more than the 8800GT and is only around 8% faster when both cards clocked the same and around 15% faster at there factory clocks.

Nvidia may can the 8800GT not because its close to the 9600 because its not, but to make the G92 8800GTS more attractive and they probably make more money on the GTS.

Not sure what you are talking about. The 8800GT 512MB is "around" 20% faster than the 9600GT.

Some of the reviews compare the 256MB version of the 8800GT which of course is substantially slower than the 512MB version, and I think this is where people like you are becoming confused. Some of the reviews also compare a OC 9600 to a stock 8800GT which is misleading as the 8800GT also overclocks nicely.

The 8800GTS is around $80-90 more than the 8800GT and is only around 8% faster when both cards clocked the same and around 15% faster at there factory clocks.

Nvidia may can the 8800GT not because its close to the 9600 because its not, but to make the G92 8800GTS more attractive and they probably make more money on the GTS.

But what do you do with the cores that don't bin to 650MHZ or have all 128 SP units fully functional???

I think it's good to have greater granularity...

What I meant by the "8800gt will bite the dust quickly, just like the 7800gt" is that Nvidia will discontinue production of the 8800GT in a blink of an eye just like it did with the 7800gt.

No, they are still made. That is why they aren't out of stock everywhere. They are just made in small quantities now.

Wrong. They are not made anymore. The cards you see on sale, are just what's left of the existing stock, that was not sold before. Cards such as the 8800 GTS 320/640 are no longer made and they're fairly recent. But you can obviously still find them, since they were never sold before and are in stock in some stores.

Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense for them to still be made. If nvidia still made say 6600gt's to have them retail at like $25 in small quantities, they surely wouldn't be making a profit. There's no reason for them to do this, and the idea even sounds retarded/unplausible.

Why would anyone want to buy an older architecture when there are cheap new alternatives.

Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense for them to still be made. If nvidia still made say 6600gt's to have them retail at like $25 in small quantities, they surely wouldn't be making a profit. There's no reason for them to do this, and the idea even sounds retarded/unplausible.

Why would anyone want to buy an older architecture when there are cheap new alternatives.

Peoples' needs and desires don't always match your own.

One example:

NVidia has dropped hardware support for XvMC (motion compensation) in the 8000+ series under linux drivers. This is heavily used by a sizable crowd of people running PVR systems/networks based on linux.

Interesting Thread...

I am fairly certain that there are no 5 or lower series chips being produced... But what about 6 and 7 series?

It would make sense for nVidia to produce as many of one run of popular chips as possible to maximise their profits, especially if they can sell them for several years after the fact. Older chipsets could also be useful in budget systems and for OEMs..

But at what point do they pull the plug?

It would seem they have an "8" series chip for every price point.. So why make any 7 series products?

So that must mean that most of the really old tech that is on the shelves are just surplus product..

Damn.. We need someone that works in the industry to answer that question.

I see the high end cards being gone quickly as no one would pay a lot for something slower then current gen. But the low end cards seem to stick around. I recently got a 6200LE for my rents PC to replace their dead card.

I think they do a good job with discounting product before the replacement arrives. Right now I see a bunch of rebates on GTs and GTSs. But no one jumps on the low end as much so they probably stay in stock much longer.

The pricing on the GT and even GTS 8800s are really a boon for consumers and perhaps a mistake for nVidia, unless they are really sandbaging on what the "9" series will offer.

Tell me,

Would you rather buy an 8800GT at $200 Now, or wait to two monts to Buy a 9800GT for $250 that only includes a small clock bump and 3-way SLI?

Would you be willing to buy both?

well if you go eVGA you could always step up within 90 days. Unfortunately for me, the cards I was waiting for after buying my 8800GT got delayed so I won't be stepping up. Gonna have to sell at a loss and pay for upgrade out of pocket.. :p

I always skip one generation and buy the next, the 8800 is no exception. My 7800gt will be in my computer until it dies or until a single card 9 series comes out in the $300 dollar range that is actually worth $300.

My $0.02 is that the recent price cuts on the 8800GT are a means by which nvidia is clearing out old inventory. It's a firesale so to speak of what remains of their G92 cores as they move to the slightly revised G9x of the 9000 series.

I could be wrong but I think just like when the 7900 series came out and the 7800 series was quickly within a month or so discontinued, that the same pattern will follow with the 8800s. Good deal today but in 2 months good luck finding any.

But what do you do with the cores that don't bin to 650MHZ or have all 128 SP units fully functional???

I think it's good to have greater granularity...

There are next to no G92's 8800GT's that won't do at least 650MHZ, I admit I have seen a few post where they can't hit it, but the "vast" majority have no problems.

My main point is the OP seems to think the 9600Gt is close in performance to the 8800GT which is simply not correct. The gap between the 8800GT and 8800GTS is far smaller than the gap between the 9600GT and 8800GT, if you followed that.

There is now no real point to the 256MB 8800GT, but the 512MB version is substantially faster than the 9600GT.

Peoples' needs and desires don't always match your own.

One example:

NVidia has dropped hardware support for XvMC (motion compensation) in the 8000+ series under linux drivers. This is heavily used by a sizable crowd of people running PVR systems/networks based on linux.

That may be, but they're not making a profit selling a fx5 or 6 series card for <$20. There's just no sense in doing so. The cards that are out there are just extra stock. Similar to why OEMs would continue bundling netburst p4's well after core duo's were being pumped out.

There are next to no G92's 8800GT's that won't do at least 650MHZ, I admit I have seen a few post where they can't hit it, but the "vast" majority have no problems.

My main point is the OP seems to think the 9600Gt is close in performance to the 8800GT which is simply not correct. The gap between the 8800GT and 8800GTS is far smaller than the gap between the 9600GT and 8800GT, if you followed that.

There is now no real point to the 256MB 8800GT, but the 512MB version is substantially faster than the 9600GT.

It is close in the "vast" majority of games. The 8800GT is hardly 20% faster across the board. The difference between the GTS and 9600GT will be more appreciable than the difference between the 9600GT and 8800GT.

That may be, but they're not making a profit selling a fx5 or 6 series card for <$20. There's just no sense in doing so. The cards that are out there are just extra stock. Similar to why OEMs would continue bundling netburst p4's well after core duo's were being pumped out.

Actually, Intel was making new P4's for nearly a year after Core 2 was introduced. It wasn't just old stock; it was on Intel's roadmap to transition slowly like that. It takes time to shift all the factories to a new process, and they don't convert all factories to the new process at one time presumable so there's not a huge drop in capacity for however long that takes. I imagine the same is true for NVIDIA, albeit to a lesser degree. FX 5 and 6 are probably out of production now, but I doubt 7 is fully out of production yet, though it's probably pretty close to EOL given the amount of time it's been.

Actually, Intel was making new P4's for nearly a year after Core 2 was introduced. It wasn't just old stock; it was on Intel's roadmap to transition slowly like that. It takes time to shift all the factories to a new process, and they don't convert all factories to the new process at one time presumable so there's not a huge drop in capacity for however long that takes. I imagine the same is true for NVIDIA, albeit to a lesser degree. FX 5 and 6 are probably out of production now, but I doubt 7 is fully out of production yet, though it's probably pretty close to EOL given the amount of time it's been.

Yeah, but TSMC makes all of their GPUs, so they have a little more flexability than intel does with all of its fabs.

I completed a couple of recent RMAs to XFX recently. I sent them 2 6800Ultras, and received 2 7600GTs in exchange. The 6xxx cards are no longer in production. The 7xxx cards were refurbs, so they may no longer be in production either, but likely still are. It will be a while still before 8800GTs are no longer in production. Especially with demand still constant for them.

seems good to me.

150$ 9600gt -Low
200$ 8800gt -Medium
250$ 9800gt -High
450$ 2X9800gt -Enthusiast

seems good to me.

150$ 9600gt -Low
200$ 8800gt -Medium
250$ 9800gt -High

I Figure it will look like this for the next couple of months;

Sub $150 - 8300-8500 Series (Replaced with a "9" Version, same price point))
$150-$200 - 9600GT (Various Flavors, including a GTS Version)
$200-$250 - 8800GT (Replaced with a "9" Version, same price point)
$250-$350 - 8800GTS (Replaced with a "9" Version, same price point))
$350-$500 - 8800GTX (Replaced with a "9" Version Starting at $400)
$500+ - 9800GX2 (various Flavors from $500 - $700)

I bought an MSI 8800GT last night. I'll run it in SLI with my bfg 8800GT. I see a lot of the 8800GT's are on sales and/or have mail-in-rebates. I think Nvidia is going to axe the 8800GT series in favor of the series 9 cards. I 'could' be wrong, but it's just a hunch I have. Tis sad if I am right. :(

seems good to me.

150$ 9600gt -Low
200$ 8800gt -Medium
250$ 9800gt -High

$150 isn't low-end at all; it might be the low end of mid-range, but there's a huge market for low-end cards in OEM machines. After all, they want to write '512MB NVIDIA GRAPHICS' in the adverts, because big numbers are good, even though it's an 8400GS (which you can get for about $60).

They are going to just start calling them 9800GT, so they wont have to discontinue anything! Pure genius.... I think. Its hard to be objective when they are disappointing me :p

They will just lower the manufacturing numbers as we get closer to the 9800gt release. Still undecided what to go with for a new box. High end or mid range!?!

Back