Will Norton Ghost 10.0 do this???

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I want to use Norton Ghost 10 to backup a small business server 2003 that I'm the network administrator for. However, the server is setup with software RAID 1. Would Ghost also restore the RAID 1 in the event of a system crash?? Or am I better off restoring to a single drive and then putting the other drive in and rebuilding the array?? Thanks in advance for your help.

I want to use Norton Ghost 10 to backup a small business server 2003 that I'm the network administrator for. However, the server is setup with software RAID 1. Would Ghost also restore the RAID 1 in the event of a system crash?? Or am I better off restoring to a single drive and then putting the other drive in and rebuilding the array?? Thanks in advance for your help.

I've posted in the OS thread as well. This question is a bit more detailed as what information your looking for.

When restoring a ghost image that contains a software mirror, Ghost is only going be able to restore to a single drive. You would then need to "break" the mirror and rebuild the mirror with any new replacement drives.

Now I'm hearing two different things. One person said it WOULD restore to RAID 1, another says it wouldn't. I am a little confused. I guess I can try it for myself and see what happens. The RAID 1 array is a software RAID that is setup within SBS 2003 itself. We aren't using a seperate raid card for that particular server.

take a look at a program called 7Tools because it offers more than Ghost, not to mention more easily. I believe it will do what you want.

take a look at a program called 7Tools because it offers more than Ghost, not to mention more easily. I believe it will do what you want.

Can you provide a link for that? Is it free software? That would be ideal.

I've never tried ghosting (or using for that matter) a software RAID set up, but I have used Ghost to restore one. As SJConsultant said, you really only need to Ghost one of the drives. Then, you boot into the OS, and set up the mirror anyway. Since it's software, it's done only in the OS. Ghost (if used properly) will only see two separate drives, since you are outside of the OS.

I've never tried ghosting (or using for that matter) a software RAID set up, but I have used Ghost to restore one. As SJConsultant said, you really only need to Ghost one of the drives. Then, you boot into the OS, and set up the mirror anyway. Since it's software, it's done only in the OS. Ghost (if used properly) will only see two separate drives, since you are outside of the OS.

That's all I needed to know. Thanks alot.

Back