Will new drivers make the 5850 better?

From what ive read other than some odd rendering glitches (on 5870s), the current drivers are fairly decent. Its inevitable more mature drivers will come out and increase performance.

The performance won't get worse with future drivers.. given the rough state of the current driver set, things will only get better. However, don't buy a card with the expectation that it will perform like a faster card. If you're not happy with the numbers for the card now, then wait and buy something else.

What kind of performance increase?

Ive noticed some slight (but still noticeable) performance increases with my 4850 since launch. Not to mention that the performance gains are application specific; Just adjust your expectations and dont expect 20+ FPS from a new driver.

The performance won't get worse with future drivers...given the rough state of the current driver set, things will only get better. However, don't buy a card with the expectation that it will perform like a faster card. If you're not happy with the numbers for the card now, then wait and buy something else.
QFT.

i remember launch reviews of the HD3870 here and then like 6 months later they did an update to the review (or a rereview, i forget) with latest drivers and the card was like 25% faster in most games.

that really has nothing to do with the 5850, but you wont see worse performance...my 4870x2's performance went way up after a few months of driver updates

Back