• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will my old PSU work with AMD64?

xplastic

n00b
Joined
Apr 17, 2005
Messages
39
Hi,

I have an Enermax EG465P-VE 431 Watt ATX PSU that I bought 2 or 3 years ago and I have been using it in a p4 system(no problems)OCed from 3.0Ghz to 3713 Mhz.. I just bought a new mobo and cpu. The new system is:

AMD64 3200+
MSI K8N Neo2 platinum
Gskill 1gb(2X512)pc4400
1X seagate 200gb SATA
1X western digital pata 80gb(boot)
1x DVD-rom
1x DVD+RW
ati radeon 9800 pro all in wonder
SB audigy---- regular ver. nothing fancy
3x 90mm silenX case fans
1x 120mm silenX case fan

No lights or any other do-dads like that ...heh

I do plan to overclock...still... I thought this PSU would be fine..am I mistaken??
Can someone enlighten me? Can I do damage to hardware if there is not enough power?

thanx to anyone who can help me-
xplastic
 
It'll work. It'll work for modest overclocks too, but don't be expecting the world.
 
Thank you,

So what your saying is if i'm going to overclock hard in the future I should hook up with a better PSU right? Do you think the Antec truepower 430W has more balls than what I have now even though my psu is the same wattage? Or what about the Antec TrueControl 550-Watt psu. I asked about these 2 because I can get one of them tommorow if I need to. I'm about to start building my rig. If I had more time I would buy online and get a powerstream 520.

hope to hear back-
thanx-
xplastic
 
Going to a TruePower430 won't get you much, if anything at all. Both units in question are very good PSUs for the money and the configs they usually power (older +5V-heavy rigs). If you want to do some more overclocking, look into a recent ATX12V v2.0 or a v1.3 Hybrid. The Seasonic S12-500/600 offer high-output with low-noise output. The OCZ Powerstreams are v1.3 Hybrids, also a very good choice.
 
Well I just realized something. I'm giving my OCed P4 3.7 Ghz cpu,mobo, old geforce ti (and a few other parts i don't use anymore) to my girlfriend. I thought she had a 400W psu in the 1.4ghz rig she uses now and I was gonna use it when I put my p4 3.7 mobo and cpu in there. It turns out it's a 350w psu and I don't think that's enough power with all her fans and drives and stuff so I bought a modstream 520 for myself just so I have some headroom to OC. I'll give her my Enermax. Thanx for the help.


take care-
X
 
good thing..her no name brand 350w psu would've took ur pentium 4 system to hell with it.
 
whew!

Well it was an Antec 350w in her sys but it would still have taken it to hell...hehe I like that saying muhahahaha.
 
Those Antec 350W SmartPowers are actually pretty good for the money. I use them a lot in builds I do. Quiet, reliable, and cheap.
 
Back
Top