• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will My Curent PSU Be Enough

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
1,791
I'm thinking about upgrading my system. I tried the calculators up top and one doesn't work and the other thinks it's 2003. It has been a while since I've have to worry about power consumption.

Anyhow, my current PSU is ia PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470. Here is what will be in it:

4 SATA2 7,200 RPM drives. One will only be on when I back up the others.
SATA optical
Quad Core Intel
8800 GT
2GB DDR2
2 120mm fans

So, do you guys think that I need a new PSU?
 
You take a risk with an old PSU as the max output of a PSU degrades with use.
This is quite an old PSU.
It can just about supply an 8800GT system when new so I wouldnt use an old one, especially with a quad core CPU.

PSU failure is greatly accelerated when they are pushed hard.
When a PSU ends its life, it can take out anything connected to it.
 
Nenu has a point regarding degradation. Theoretically, your current unit is rated high enough to handle the load. However, I recommend you purchase a newer unit like a Corsair VX450 or VX550 just to be safe. They aren't too expensive, and you'll be guaranteed to have something that will be able to power your system without having to worry about anything.
 
I agree with the points stated. However, your psu IS a quality PSU and should work fine with the quoted setup. The manufacturer will still stand behind that product. What's the warranty on those, 5 years?

You should give this psu a try first, then use the above secondary suggestions if u need to buy.

Good Luck!!
 
Back
Top