• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will my CPU be a bottle-neck?

reddhaus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
287
Currently I am running a Venice core 3000+. I have it overclocked to just under 2.8ghz stable. I have 2 gigs of RAM. I am running a EVGA 6800GT SLI configuration in the graphics department.

I am looking to upgrade to a EVGA 7800GTX KO SLI setup.

So, after the upgrade, I am wondering if my CPU will be a major limiting factor in this equation.

Would I be better to go with one 7800 and then put some money into the CPU?
 
I look at the data in that Firing Squad link and I interpret it differently.

Scroll down to the higher resolutions that you would be actually playing these games and you will see that there is no significant difference between processors. HL2 being the only notable exception.
 
Azzkikr1337 said:
I don't think the KO edition is any better than the regular edition.


Actually it is better by a couple of frames per second and the cooling is better. I think Anandtech did a review/comparison.
 
to not limit 1 7800gtx too badly you need about 2.4Ghz

for sli you need something like 3.0Ghz or possibly even higher
 
from what i've seen in benchmarks, there is no real gain in sli with the 7800gt/gtx's over the 6800gt/ultra sli... so if you really wanted to make a sli system, you could just make a 6800 sli and get the same fps just 1-4 fps slower... or you can go 1 7800gtx and upgrade other components of ur computer such as the processor.
 
reddhaus said:
Currently I am running a Venice core 3000+. I have it overclocked to just under 2.8ghz stable. I have 2 gigs of RAM. I am running a EVGA 6800GT SLI configuration in the graphics department.

I am looking to upgrade to a EVGA 7800GTX KO SLI setup.

So, after the upgrade, I am wondering if my CPU will be a major limiting factor in this equation.

Would I be better to go with one 7800 and then put some money into the CPU?

Your cpu will be great for a while (overclocked of course, untill they make some incredibly fast new single core) Your graphics are insane. If you still arent completely broke you may want to invest into ram / cooling. Maybe a huge crt that can handle very high resolution to put the sli to work?
 
hang10wannabe said:
from what i've seen in benchmarks, there is no real gain in sli with the 7800gt/gtx's over the 6800gt/ultra sli... so if you really wanted to make a sli system, you could just make a 6800 sli and get the same fps just 1-4 fps slower... or you can go 1 7800gtx and upgrade other components of ur computer such as the processor.


considering a single 7800 GTX beats a 6800Ultra or GT in sli...
 
NumbLock said:
I look at the data in that Firing Squad link and I interpret it differently.

Scroll down to the higher resolutions that you would be actually playing these games and you will see that there is no significant difference between processors. HL2 being the only notable exception.

QFT
 
i got a 3000+ right now and its runs everything just the same as my friends fx-55 6800gt, honestly SLI seems retarded to me. I also play everything at 1280x1024 so maybe i am just not the target crowd for SLi... get a 3000+ and upgrade to x2 when prices drop even more
 
IMO, with two 7800GTXs (one in my P4 3.6 @ 3.82 and one on my GFs FX-53) 1280X1024 at virtually ANY setting does not tax the GPU at all. SLI @ 1280X1024 is overkill/a waste IMO.

Now if you want to run 1600X1200 with 16X/8X/Gamma/Supersampling: YES, go SLI.

My GPU only changes temps 4-6C at 16X/8X/Gamma/SuperSampling in UT2k4 or HL2. BF2 did not want to run at 16X/Supersampling.
You could use SLI horsepower on BF2 to get 16X.

Benchmarks aside, its now primarily about the detail/AA/sampling settings after you get ONE 7800GTX. Until you go 1600X1200 or higher, then SLI for certain.

Just my 2C having won 2 GTXs.
 
pandora's box said:
considering a single 7800 GTX beats a 6800Ultra or GT in sli...

QFT

To the original poster, your processor won't be a bottleneck to a single GTX, but might be a small bottleneck to SLI GTX's. So, getting only one GTX and using the other $500 for a CPU would not be a good idea.
 
Back
Top