Will my card support a 20" widescreen?

hershey

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
71
Okay, I'm going to start off telling everyone that the video card I own is a X800XL video card. I'm thinking about getting the 2007fpw (I'm aware of the banding issues) because it's HDTV ready and also doesnt have the streched image problem of the Viewsonic. Can anyone tell me if my video card can support the native resolution just fine? I think theres a user named Soyo that owns one with the same card and monitor and I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks for the input fellas.
 
The x800xl should support your native res, 1650/1080 right, but you won't get very good performance in newer games. Simply because the x800xl isn't that powerful compared to what modern games need.
 
Well another couple of questions is:

- Is there a noticable difference when I lower the resolution to play the newer games?

- Should I just buy a good 19" monitor instead?

I'm not really thrilled about buying a new video card anytime in the future, so if i turn down the resolution it wont be that bad, right? I'm a complete monitor noob sorry for the dumb questions!
 
From what I saw in the Viewsonic thread...People are running games on the 20" widescreen with 9800s and X700s. So I dont see why there would be an issue. The only thing is that you wouldnt be able to set everything to max.
 
hershey said:
Well another couple of questions is:

- Is there a noticable difference when I lower the resolution to play the newer games?

- Should I just buy a good 19" monitor instead?

I'm not really thrilled about buying a new video card anytime in the future, so if i turn down the resolution it wont be that bad, right? I'm a complete monitor noob sorry for the dumb questions!


Personally I would buy a monitor with a native res of 1280/1024 or the widscreen equivilant which is like 1400/900. So you can have the settings turned up and play at native res and yes playing games on an lcd that aren't set to the native rez look bad.
 
Depends on your definition of bad. I've played COD2 at 1680x1050, 1440x900, and 1280x800 and didn't see a huge difference. The text is a little blurry, but everything else is pretty decent.

If you have your heart set on a 20 inch get something like the dell that has adjustable scaling.
 
My 2007FPW is @ 1680x1050. I play Oblivion at 1440x900. I get a few more FPS at that res. but if I lower it to the next widescreen setting it lowers my FPS's. The difference between native and the lower one is so small I could barely notice. I have an X800 Pro and your card is more powerful so you should be fine. Thanks for not whining about the banding issue. It really isn't that noticable. I have only seen it during sunrise/set in Oblivion and only cause I was looking for it/knew about it. I don't tend to stop and look up in the game so it's not a problem.
 
Thanks sobek, that was the advice I was looking for, now to buy the monitor and throw away my pos 6 year old 17' crt!
 
Woot just purchased it today! Now the countdown till my first lcd comes to my doorsteps! If anyone is wondering the sale on these things ends tonight at midnight. Mine came to $350 with free shipping and tax included and the 35 off 300 coupon. :D
 
hershey said:
Thanks sobek, that was the advice I was looking for, now to buy the monitor and throw away my pos 6 year old 17' crt!

You're welcome. I put my 6 yr old Dell 17" CRT in the garage. I'll probably keep it just in case I ever need it and I'd like to convert my old Dell into a linux server/machine when I have some time and more space.

BTW, I ordered My Dell on a Tues night at about 11pm and it came around 10am that Thursday using the standard $15 UPS shipping (ended up being free cause of deal) so yours should be here real quick. It was faster than newegg which really impressed me.

I hate you for getting it for $350 shipped. Mine was $422 shipped using a 25% off coupon. :(
 
Back
Top