Will my build work?

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$454 (already built, max budget is $550), tax and shipping not included.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Brazil.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
GPU, CPU, motherboard, power supply, RAM, case, HD and cooler.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
No reusing.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1080 resolution, not sure about the size.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
As soon as possible.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I doon't know.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes.

I made my first build, but I'm not sure if it will work. Please, tell me if there's any compatibility issues. I'm not willing to change the GPU, tell me if I need to change anything. I won't be upgrading that computer, I want the cheapest components possible.

Graphics card R9 290x 4GB

CPU i5 2400

Power supply evga 650w 100-n1-0650-l0 active pfc

Motherboard Pcware Lga 1155

RAM 1600mhz Pc3-12800 8gb DDR3

HD 1TB

Case Cl-g31b 375x180x410mm

Cooler 120mm purple (frontal slot of the case)

I'm not sure what you're asking, exactly. Will this system boot up and allow you to install games that play relatively well at 1080p? Yes. The R9 290X is in the ballpark of the RX 480 4GB/8GB in terms of performance, though sucking down a lot more power to do it; fine for 1080p for now. The i5 2400 is quad core, though not particularly fast. It'll really suffer in newer games, but most stuff 2017 and earlier it should be fine-ish. 8 GB of RAM should be fine.

Is it a good deal? Not particularly, at least not in the US. Maybe pricing is different in Brazil. In the US, for your budget of $550 you can get brand new current-gen hardware all-around. The performance would be approximately the same, except it wouldn't be on a dead end platform. Something like this is very much in the same price ballpark, but is infinitely more future proof from an upgrades standpoint and would support modern things like better USB, NVME, SATA3, DDR4, etc.

At the end of the day, you've got a $450 machine that will successfully play most games at 1080p, only beginning to struggle with circa 2018/2019 games thanks to the limited CPU. Your biggest drawback would be the ancient platform features and lack of any ability to upgrade in the future. If pricing allows, I would definitely consider a more modern platform like I linked if you can get it for plausibly close to the same amount of money. If things are way more expensive in Brazil, then you can judge whether the extra cash spent is worth the better platform and future proofing.

I'm not sure what you're asking, exactly. Will this system boot up and allow you to install games that play relatively well at 1080p? Yes. The R9 290X is in the ballpark of the RX 480 4GB/8GB in terms of performance, though sucking down a lot more power to do it; fine for 1080p for now. The i5 2400 is quad core, though not particularly fast. It'll really suffer in newer games, but most stuff 2017 and earlier it should be fine-ish. 8 GB of RAM should be fine.

Is it a good deal? Not particularly, at least not in the US. Maybe pricing is different in Brazil. In the US, for your budget of $550 you can get brand new current-gen hardware all-around. The performance would be approximately the same, except it wouldn't be on a dead end platform. Something like this is very much in the same price ballpark, but is infinitely more future proof from an upgrades standpoint and would support modern things like better USB, NVME, SATA3, DDR4, etc.

At the end of the day, you've got a $450 machine that will successfully play most games at 1080p, only beginning to struggle with circa 2018/2019 games thanks to the limited CPU. Your biggest drawback would be the ancient platform features and lack of any ability to upgrade in the future. If pricing allows, I would definitely consider a more modern platform like I linked if you can get it for plausibly close to the same amount of money. If things are way more expensive in Brazil, then you can judge whether the extra cash spent is worth the better platform and future proofing.

Thank you. There's no way I could afford that system you sent, I'm buying all my components already used, nothing new directly from a store. If I tried to build the same setup while buying from official stores, the price would go higher than $1000 at least. Anyways, thank you, now I can buy it without worries.

I kind of guessed that ridiculous pricing was a factor.

I don't know what your local secondary parts market is like, but you can look for some upgrades. Moving to a non-k i7 3770 would buy you a bit more CPU performance. It adds better clocks and hyperthreading, which in some newer games (XB1/PS4 generation) actually does make a difference now. It's the closest you'd be able to get to going >4 cores, so gotta take what you can get. Note that moving to any 3XXX series CPU might require a BIOS update first.

Honestly, the biggest thing you're lacking is a SSD of any kind. Adding a SSD to boot and load your favorite games from will make the system 'feel' like a much more modern system than a pokey hard drive.

Moving beyond 8GB of RAM likely won't have much of an impact on 95% of the games you'll play at the detail level you'll play them. I wouldn't spend the money to go to 16GB unless it was darn near free.

Back