WIll my 4850 hold up?

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to upgrade my system, but not the video card (cash restrictions). AMD 955 Asus Mobo 4GB Ram ATI 4850 Is my video card going to become a big bottleneck? Will it hold up with the new games like Battlefield 2, Metro 2033....etc? Thanks.

What res do you play at? At 1680x1050 you should be good for everything but Metro.

In newer games, don't expect to be able to use more than 2xAA. You might have to drop a setting her or there, depending on the game, but you should be fine as long as you're not trying to run at 1080P or higher.

I play BFBC2 at 1280x960 on my 4850 with DX10, all settings high (including HBAO), and 2xAA. IT's very smooth.

But if you want to play at 1680x1050, you'll probably have to live without AA or without HBAO.

Sorry should've included the resolution. I currently run at 1920x1080 usually. That's my monitors native res.

I never really play with max settings anyway. Never had a rig that could run it like that so I've grown accustomed to turning down settings on newer games. I mostly never use anti-alasing.

Thanks.

Im running a 4850 with a decent overclock (700/1100) at 1680x1050 and Im not having trouble running any of my games. With Crysis in DX9 and a mixture of High and Medium settings, Im getting in the mid to upper 50' In DX10, its more in the low 40's. Dead Space, Bioshock and Left 4 Dead are in the 100's with max settings. Assassins Creed is in the 40-50's with mid to high settings. Im not saying you shouldnt be looking for a beefier card (Im saving for a 5830 and waiting for them to hit the $190-200 price) but it will definitely be able to play any game with very solid graphic levels until you can swing a faster GPU.

I'm looking to upgrade my system, but not the video card (cash restrictions). AMD 955 Asus Mobo 4GB Ram ATI 4850 Is my video card going to become a big bottleneck? Will it hold up with the new games like Battlefield 2, Metro 2033....etc? Thanks.

the 4850 still has a year left in it :cool:

At 1920x i'd say it's pushing it but if you're not playing with all the details on it might be ok for a little while longer.

Sorry should've included the resolution. I currently run at 1920x1080 usually. That's my monitors native res.

I never really play with max settings anyway. Never had a rig that could run it like that so I've grown accustomed to turning down settings on newer games. I mostly never use anti-alasing.

Thanks.

is it a 1gb or a 512 mb model

if you don't mind lower some settings it will be fine. a real option here, esp if its a 1gb card, is to pick up a used 4850 and run crossfire. a pair of 4850 is more then viable even with he newer games the only caveat here is that if its 512mb ram your going to be limited on the AA in the newer games

It's just the 512mb. As I said I never really run AA. Usually 2-4x AF. Never really minded jaggies personally.

I'll probably just hang on and deal. Maybe upgrade that end of the year.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back