Will my 32-bit OEM Vista Ultimate Key work with a 64-bit Version?

WMBlalock

Limp Gawd
I purchased a 32-bit OEM Version of Vista Ultimate from Newegg a long time ago and was wondering, if i get a 64-bit Vista Installation DVD, can I install and activate Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit using my OEM 32-bit key that i purchased from newegg? If so, is there a way i can buy a 64-bit DVD from Microsoft? I searched around online and got mixed answers and couldn't find much on the forum. Has anyone actually done this? Does it being OEM make a difference?
- Mike

Simple answer: no. Getting a license for only 32- or 64-bit is one of the caveats of buying OEM (the other being that you can't transfer the license).

Is there a way to upgrade cheaper from OEM 32-bit to a 64-bit version than buying a full upgrade version?

Simple answer: no. That's one of the caveats of buying OEM (the other being that you can't transfer the license).

Not necessarily true. I have two machines running Vista, and I bought one OEM 32-bit and one OEM 64-bit when Vista launched (both Ultimate) Through testing/mucking things up, I've wiped each one clean about 3 or 4 times since Vista launched, and have alternated testing 32-bit and 64-bit on each to see what would work best, keeping the key tied to the machine. For a while, I was running both 64-bit, but that didn't suit the HTPC very well at this time, so I'm back to one of each. In any event, I never had any issues activating a 32-bit installation with the 64-bit key, or vice versa, so long as the product edition corresponded.

Now - you can't go through MS to get the 64-bit media, so getting the media is tricky. But, once you do, it should work just fine.

I have a way to get the media I am pretty sure, I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it. As long I can get the media then I will just try it tonight and see what happens. I have read reports of people online being able to use their OEM keys with either 64-bit or 32-bit version, so hopefully mine will. I will let you guys know what I find. LhasaCM, thanks for the confirmation that you have done it.. has anyone else done it?
- Mike

Just read a bunch of stuff on TechNet saying it won't work for OEM as Mithent suggest. But some ppl say they have done it.. if i have the cd when i get home then i will try it out and let you guys know the results
- Mike

Just read a bunch of stuff on TechNet saying it won't work for OEM as Mithent suggest. But some ppl say they have done it.. if i have the cd when i get home then i will try it out and let you guys know the results
- Mike

It's possible that:
1. There's a fundamental difference between the OEM keys given out to the big companies and the OEM keys with the "system builder" packs that we buy from NewEgg/etc. My experience is with the latter.
2. It used to work, but now it doesn't (the last time I mixed and matched was about 2 months ago)
3. It could just be hit or miss: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I am assuming that if you buy an OEM 32 bit Home Premium, you cant order the 64 bit upgrade disc from MS????

I had the retail 32 bit and just filled a form out online and got the 64bit in the mail a couple days later.

IDK, worked for me. Have the 32-bit oem disc and key for Home Premium. "Borrowed" a copy of the x64 install disc and installed the first time, activated without a hitch. Just reinstalled x64 on a new harddrive on the same machine. Wouldn't activate online for some reason, but worked fine when I phoned in the activation (had to actually speak to person to get it going).

I am assuming that if you buy an OEM 32 bit Home Premium, you cant order the 64 bit upgrade disc from MS????

I had the retail 32 bit and just filled a form out online and got the 64bit in the mail a couple days later.

Maybe. I successfully did that shortly after launch with my dad's OEM copy (he wasn't sure which he wanted when he purchased it). However, others have said it did not work for them. (It definitely doesn't work for Vista Ultimate, since at retail you already have both architectures. All you could get through that program would be x86 CDs.)

Well, I successfully did it! I used my Newegg OEM 32-Bit Windows Vista Ultimate Key to install and activate Windows Vista 64-Bit using a 64-Bit Vista DVD. So I guess this is proof it can work.. weather it is hit or miss, I have no idea.. but I will be making a Image of my HDD just to make sure.. lol
- Mike

Yes it works.... my oem ultimate copy and oem home copy are both now 64 bit.

Same here, Dell was 32-bit is now 64-bit, Toshiba was 32-bit Home Basic, I had it running 64-bit before I switched to Ultimate. My mom's Sony laptop came with Home Premium 32-bit, It's now running 64-bit. And by using ABR I never actually had to activate nor did I have to use the COA key.

The problem is that MS won't give the media out for OEM versions. You probably have to go through your manufacturer to get the media just like you would for support.

Ok... This thread answered one of my questions.

But let's say... My friend is giving me the cd-key that came with his 32bit home premium laptop since he downgraded back to XP

If I were to borrow a 64-bit disk from another friend... Will that 32bit home premium key work and activate?

Thx in advanced!

But let's say... My friend is giving me the cd-key that came with his 32bit home premium laptop since he downgraded back to XP

If I were to borrow a 64-bit disk from another friend... Will that 32bit home premium key work and activate?

Thx in advanced!

That key belongs to the original laptop. It is not legally transferrable and as such it's probably not allowed to be discussed here.

ryan, was that Toshiba a laptop? I had 64bit running on mine, ATI on board video, and could not find any drivers to work for the video.

Thx in advanced!

Seems it should, Yes.. but not legally :D

ryan, was that Toshiba a laptop? I had 64bit running on mine, ATI on board video, and could not find any drivers to work for the video.
It is a toshiba,,butt it has Intel video. What ATI chipset does yours have?

ryan, ATI 1200 or 1250 mobile. Toshiba has no drivers for it, and the ATI drivers don't work for the mobile. After exhaustive research, the only drivers I found for it are hacks. Don't really want to go with a full reinstall again to find out the hacks don't work. I'd think Toshiba could release 64bit drivers, but I guess they think the world isn't ready for 64. Haven't heard of any problems with the Intel onboard. Really wish now I had gone with Intel.

Just want to get the most out of my 4GB of ram, however losing just 512MB in 32 bit isn't that much of a hit. I just love 64bit on my desktop.

ryan, ATI 1200 or 1250 mobile. Toshiba has no drivers for it, and the ATI drivers don't work for the mobile. After exhaustive research, the only drivers I found for it are hacks. Don't really want to go with a full reinstall again to find out the hacks don't work. I'd think Toshiba could release 64bit drivers, but I guess they think the world isn't ready for 64. Haven't heard of any problems with the Intel onboard. Really wish now I had gone with Intel.

Just want to get the most out of my 4GB of ram, however losing just 512MB in 32 bit isn't that much of a hit. I just love 64bit on my desktop.

These drivers shoudl work
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista64/integrated-vista64

Thanks a bunch ryan, I will give these drivers a try and reinstall 64. These appear to be fairly newer drivers than when I tried the ATI drivers a month or so ago.

That key belongs to the original laptop. It is not legally transferrable and as such it's probably not allowed to be discussed here.
Oh...

Umm, what exactly makes it illegal though?

He said he never really used the Vista on the laptop, he pretty much reformatted to his XP when he got it.

I may just be repeating, but if I were to use the 32-bit OS from the disk that came with his laptop along with the key, will that still be illegal?

Oh...

Umm, what exactly makes it illegal though?

He said he never really used the Vista on the laptop, he pretty much reformatted to his XP when he got it.

I may just be repeating, but if I were to use the 32-bit OS from the disk that came with his laptop along with the key, will that still be illegal?

Technically speaking - OEM versions of operating systems are tied to the hardware they come with. In this case, it is tied to that laptop. Per the license agreement, it cannot be used on another machine. (This is one of the big differences between OEM and Retail when it comes to Windows - a retail version can be transferred.) So, yes, it would still be "illegal."

Now - "illegal" is probably a bit harsh, since you won't likely have the authorities busting down your door and hauling you off to jail for doing this. However, it is also entirely plausible that MS wouldn't even let you activate Windows. (Since it came with a laptop, it could throw up a giant red flag if you try to activate it on a desktop.)

Back