Will Microsoft replace my non-HDMI Xbox 360 with one with HDMI?

djlenoir

Limp Gawd
I am having some problems with my Xbox 360... not RROD, but unable to read discs... and I am considering sending it in. I understand that they send a refurbished unit back to you. Mine does not have HDMI currently... what are the chances that I will get one with HDMI back? I can hold off on sending mine in until it is closer to the end of the warranty period if I need to. I can usually get it to read the second or third time if I have problems right now.

Supposedly right now you'll get another HDMI-less model.
I'm sure at some point that might be different, but as of 2-3 weeks ago there were posts of people getting the older models even though they had brand new dates on them.
The PS3's the same. If you break a 60GB or 20GB, you'll still get the hardware BC models back.

The only way you'll get a HDMI model is if you have an instore replacement plan. MS doesn't want people killing their own machines to get HDMI.

Doubtful.

I just got mine back from RRoD repair minus HDMI. (manuf. date of 2-2-08 also)

I can't say that I am overly surprised to hear that I will get a non-HDMI in return. This is the one time I wish that I bought the extended warranty from Best Buy... so I could just take it in and grab a new one with HDMI. Oh well, I will just wait for it to break down and buy the Arcade to replace it I suppose.

I can't say that I am overly surprised to hear that I will get a non-HDMI in return. This is the one time I wish that I bought the extended warranty from Best Buy... so I could just take it in and grab a new one with HDMI. Oh well, I will just wait for it to break down and buy the Arcade to replace it I suppose.

Just curious, will your TV do 1080p via any other means? With the death of the HD-DVD drive, there's literally no benefit to HDMI unless your TV won't handle 1080p any other way. Both components and VGA will do it and the 360's audio isn't lossless...so optical's no worse than HDMI.
Just an FYI. I was in that boat a few weeks ago, but now HDMI's just a convenience and is no longer necessary.

There is basically zero chance of getting an HDMI model if you have a non-HDMI model, and that will continue to be the case in the future - Microsoft is even coming out with a new non-HDMI revision of the 360 motherboard so that they can use it for replacements in the non-HDMI cases.

Your best option is to sell your old 360 and buy an Arcade, like you said. But if it winds up costing more than $90 and you don't need DVD upscaling or HD-DVD/HDCP support, buy the MadCatz component->HDMI conversion kit that just came out. It's actually getting fairly good reviews in terms of image quality.

I've heard of a few people getting HDMI consoles back after sending in a non-HDMI one..

I've heard of a few people getting HDMI consoles back after sending in a non-HDMI one..

Yeah, you get pretty much whatever they send. It could be a launch console or a HDMI model. Becareful what model you send in though. Some have sent in special editions and got back a regular premium non hdmi.

Just curious, will your TV do 1080p via any other means?

I just recently bought a amsung FPT5884 58" Plasma HDTV and I am not sure yet if it supports 1080p using component or VGA. I will have to do some more research I suppose. For some reason, I thought you could only achieve 1080p using HDMI. Interesting.

Back