Will Lighroom benefit from using this GPU?

techbob

Limp Gawd
I have a PC with
- 3570k CPU
- two 24" monitors.
-I use the GPU on the motherboard

It works OK, could be faster for Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6. This PC is mostly used for photo editing and I frequently edit well over 1000 RAW images per set.

I have a Geforce GT 440 1GB DDR3 PCI-E that I can use (free). Will I notice any significant improvement with the above configuration? The Geforce is only about 15% more power than the built in GPU, but my thought is it would free up the CPU which may make a difference.

I'm very short on time so only want to try it if it might help.

Right now with Lightroom it gets bogged down when editing (crop, changing color temp, etc.) Importing is OK.

Also, I have an aftermarket CPU cooler with 120mm fan. Should I try conservative overclocking?

Last edited:
Assuming you're running Lightroom 6 or CC, which supports GPUs, you aren't getting any acceleration right now (only Haswell+ is supported), and probably won't see a difference with a 440 or even experience a slowdown, but you can always plug it in and see. Articles that analyzed the feature's performance and Adobe's own support article suggest that only higher end GPUs make a difference, and even then, only at high resolutions, which really makes one wonder if it's doing work on the photo or not.

Suggested system requirements and graphics cards
  • 1 GB of VRAM (Video RAM, or RAM on the video adapter). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution (such as 4K and 5K) monitors.
  • OpenGL 3.3. If you're not sure if OpenGL 3.3 is fully supported by your card, contact the manufacturer.
Note: Use only one graphics card. Performance isn't enhanced with multiple cards.
Graphics cards produced in the last two years that meet the minimum system requirements above should work.

• For AMD cards, consider using the Radeon R9 series of cards, such as the R9 270 thru 290.
  • For NVIDIA cards, consider using a card from the GeForce GTX 760+ line (760, 770, 780, ...) or from the GeForce GTX 900 series
  • For Intel cards, Intel HD Graphics 4400+, 5000+, 510+, P530, Iris Pro Graphics 5200, 6100+, P6300, P580 or later are required

Overclocking, on the other hand, will definitely help.

Assuming you're running Lightroom 6 or CC, which supports GPUs, you aren't getting any acceleration right now (only Haswell+ is supported), and probably won't see a difference with a 440 or even experience a slowdown, but you can always plug it in and see. Articles that analyzed the feature's performance and Adobe's own support article suggest that only higher end GPUs make a difference, and even then, only at high resolutions, which really makes one wonder if it's doing work on the photo or not.

Overclocking, on the other hand, will definitely help.

I edited my original post, using Lightroom CC. I'm not using high res monitors, so based on your reply I'll try OC. I also did research on SSD (my system has mechanical 7200RPM drives) and even that doesn't make a difference. Thanks for your reply.

Back