"Will it fit?" FAQ

An Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 6 Rev. 2 VGA Cooler fits on my 7900GS in my NSK 1300 case, but it takes up all of the PCI slots (the last PCI slot is mostly open, but anything installed in the slot will contact and push against the NV Silencer -- i.e. my Sound Blaster Live! sound card). The (very affordable Thermalright V1) does fit, however, and takes up only one PCI slot at the most (depending on what you use the adjacent PCI slot for). You can use the provided Antec exhaust blower to elegantly remove heated air from the video card to the outside, too. Mount it in the adjacent PCI slot to the video card.

An Arctic Cooling Alpine64 requires extensive modification to fit in the NSK 1300, as it is a tall boy. I had to dremel off every fin down to the notch for hooking the fan and I have to trim off part of the fan's plastic guard to get it to fit under the Antec PSU. DO NOT buy an aftermarket cooler for the NSK 1300 higher than ~75mm (stock AMD fan height) unless you plan to do some serious modification OR unless you can just use the HSF with no mounted fan (you can always mount a fan on the side panel's airduct with the provided fan mounting assembly and have it blow right onto the HSF, though).

I mention these two coolers because they are VERY affordable and are ultra quiet/silent (which are two virtues that the NSK 1300 is very good at). $16 shipped for the V1, which is compatible with 6 and 7 series NVIDIA VGAs, from heatsinkfactory.com and $13 for the Alpine64 from newegg.com.

Thought I'd add to the common knowledge pool, as us SFF users must communicate such things for others who want to make a smooth transition from clunky standard ATX.

Cheers, fellas!

I'm picking up the Shuttle XPC SD37P2 soon and I'm going to try cramming a 8800 GTS into it. I was afraid of getting the 8800 GTX since the PSU is only 400 watts. That hasn't stopped some people from not only trying, but making systems and selling them, though.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=106130 here is a link to some pictures.

It seems to fit. I'm kinda worried about heat but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'll report back soon once I have all the parts on hand.

I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know about the SN21G5 (or the G5's in general) about fitting the 8800gts/gtx? How about power requirements? (I know dworley had his running a 7900gtx...)

So, of the HSFs that were mentioned, is there a best one, or is it pretty much a matter of preference?

Another vote for sticky.

crazjayz said:
I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know about the SN21G5 (or the G5's in general) about fitting the 8800gts/gtx? How about power requirements? (I know dworley had his running a 7900gtx...)
Fit no, power no. I will have to make some kind of exceptions for Shuttle models. I am going to have to look at all of these...

Okay, I went down the list of current Shuttle cases and looked at the back. Anything marked "Left" has the slots mounted on the back, left side of the case and will accomodate a 2 slot card. Anything marked "Right" will only accomodate a single slot card. This is assuming all of the cases have the PCI-E x16 slot on the left side slot. The one exception I saw is the SB86i, which has it on the right side. There may be more...

Some of these require modding to fit the 8800GTX power connectors and all of them will probably have power issues.

Intel
SB81P = Left
SB95P V2 = Left
SD11G5 = Right
SB86i = Left
SD36G5M = Right
SD36G5 = Right
SS59G v2 = Right
SS31T = Left
SS30G2_SE = Right
SS30G2 = Right
SD37P2 = Left
SD32G2 = Right

AMD
SN25P = Left
SN26P = Left
SK21G = Right
SN21G5 = Right
SN27P2 = Left
SK22G2 = Right
SS21T = Left

Broken down to orientation...
SB81P = Left
SB95P V2 = Left
SD37P2 = Left
SN25P = Left
SN26P = Left
SN27P2 = Left
SS31T = Left
SS21T = Left
SB86i = Left (won't fit dual slot cards)

SD36G5M = Right
SD36G5 = Right
SS59G v2 = Right
SS30G2_SE = Right
SS30G2 = Right
SD32G2 = Right
SK21G = Right
SN21G5 = Right
SK22G2 = Right
SD11G5 = Right

Breakdown is that the G series is SOL and you need a P or T series to make it work. You Shuttle guys probably already knew that, huh? :)

So whats the final verdict, will the 8800GTX fit in a SN27P2? If modding is required, what is needed to make it fit?

Hellu, I have to ask, I'm on building a SFF and I dont know which CPU-coolers I should choose. According to this list, the, CNPS7700 even TT's Blue Orb should fit the ST Sugo, but how, I'm a bit sceptic maybe of my on stupidity but can someone plz explain to me how they can fit, do you have to mod, and which one I should choose ??? :confused:
(For now im going for the CNPS7000...)

Very nice list by the way, nice work indeed! ;)

Good question! Looks like I made an error. Thanks for catching it. I even contradicted the FAQ awhile back: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=935912&highlight=cnps7700+sg01

Edit: I just updated the FAQ to include all dimensions. If someone can help find the dimensions of the PCB of the nVidia cards, it would be appreciated. Only manufacturer that lists the specs is eVGA and they are definitely not correct. None of the reviewers thought to list them either. The 7900GT length is a pure guess! Very irritating.

well, i can confirm that the 512MB AGP version Sapphire x1950 pro does NOT fit an Apevia X-QPack :mad: first of all, it wouldn't even fit in the AGP slot, i had to mod it (as you can see...) just to fit it in the motherboard tray. from then it looked like it would fit until i tried to slide the tray in but it was still too large. even if i cut a hole in that area to slide the card through, i would not be able to put the power supply in, or use the bottom drive bay :(

i had enough money to buffer for one screw up on my part; but i can't afford another one. does anybody have this card in a SFF case they'd like to recommend; or can anyone confirm that the AGP X1950 pro can fit in this case?

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/lanbox/vf1000bws.asp

Have you tried installing the card after you slide the motherboard tray in and then laying the power supply in place to see if you have clearance?

I've built about 10 Micro-Flys/QPacks, and most of the video cards had to be installed after the motheboard tray was already slid in.

:(
Have you tried installing the card after you slide the motherboard tray in and then laying the power supply in place to see if you have clearance?

I've built about 10 Micro-Flys/QPacks, and most of the video cards had to be installed after the motheboard tray was already slid in.

yeah, i've tried that. i just didn't notice how BIG this card is, look at the comparison between a 9800xt

and this card

on the 9800xt, the screw-in plate sits flush with the card. on the x1950, the card is at least 1/2 inch bigger. too bad i didn't catch that at first.

Yep, I see now. That's crazy.

:(

yeah, i've tried that. i just didn't notice how BIG this card is, look at the comparison between a 9800xt

and this card

on the 9800xt, the screw-in plate sits flush with the card. on the x1950, the card is at least 1/2 inch bigger. too bad i didn't catch that at first.

Ok, will add it. Have you tried installing the PSU? Looks like you might be able to angle it in diagonally. May have to cut a corner off the bottom CD-ROM tray, but it looks like it will still sit underneath it so you could still use it. It's the Rialto PCI-E > AGP bridge they use that makes it so tall.

Ok, will add it. Have you tried installing the PSU? Looks like you might be able to angle it in diagonally. May have to cut a corner off the bottom CD-ROM tray, but it looks like it will still sit underneath it so you could still use it. It's the Rialto PCI-E > AGP bridge they use that makes it so tall.

yeah, i took the PSU out to show why i couldn't just stick it in diagonally. if you see in picture 2 (the blurry one) you'll see the support for the bottom CD-ROM. it's not just the support for the CD-ROM, it's also the support for the PSU. it runs directly above the AGP slot on the motherboard. it's able to be bent, and with a Dremel, i could cut a hole out for graphics card; but even if i do that, the card is still too tall to allow the PSU to fit in the case.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4639/1000018gw8.jpg

see the hole in the case right next to the card? that's where the removable motherboard tray screws into the case. the power supply starts literally 1mm above it. for the most part the PSU rests on that removable motherboard tray screw. so much for my first SFF build :eek:

anybody have a case recommendation that will fit this card?

Silverstone cases are probably closest to the same price. The non-"E" version would be what to get, if you don't want to mod. Also looks like it will fit in a Shuttle P chassis and probably the Q-Micra.

...or you could finally give in and go PCI-E ;) You will soon need to for Dx10 games.

i own the Antec NSK1300 small form factor case. I have a Thermalright V-1 Ultra video card heatsink attached to my MSI 7900GS (green PCB) inside of this case. The chart says that this doesn't work, but I can attest to the fact that it does. Of course, I am using the V-1 passively (I removed the fan before I installed it). I wanted the computer to be super quiet. While I do get some heat problems when playing Battlefield 2 for very long sessions, I think this is because I don't have the Antec NSK1300 fan slot blower installed.

Just FYI.

EDIT:

I just realized that I've already mentioned this before...

Updated them both. Will do the graphic later. Smelly, do you want to measure how tall the PCB no that card is? It may help others. It looks like the clearance on the SG-01 and Shuttle P will be pretty slim.

I am building a SFF computer using a X-Qpack. On the list I notice that the Mushkin XP-650 will fit but I am wondering if this Mushkin PSU will fit? I have been looking at reviews but I can't find any dimensions. Thanks

Updated them both. Will do the graphic later. Smelly, do you want to measure how tall the PCB no that card is? It may help others. It looks like the clearance on the SG-01 and Shuttle P will be pretty slim.

yeah, i'll measure it later on tonight. i took an educated guess and ordered that new Thermaltake SFF case with the big handle and it just came in. when i start messing with it again, i'll measure the PCB.

also, this is a friend's build. i figured he wouldn't need such a big upgrade for WoW right now. I on the other hand, will be upgrading greatly when Crysis comes out :)

I am building a SFF computer using a X-Qpack. On the list I notice that the Mushkin XP-650 will fit but I am wondering if this Mushkin PSU will fit? I have been looking at reviews but I can't find any dimensions. Thanks
Mmm... on closer inspection and measuring my Microfly I am still going to say yes, but it will be awfully close. If it does, it will come to the very edge of the 5 1/4" bays and the modular connectors should be left of that. I believe the internal diameter difference is 1", but the overall length vs the Microfly is 1.2". There is about 210mm of distance to spare for the Microfly, which should make it 185-180mm for the X-Qpack. Looks to be the same size as the other Muskin's (175mm) so ya... Make sure you don't have a DVD-RW that hangs past the 5 1/4 bays though.

excellent chart, thank you.

i'd love to know if my LC16-M case would take an 8800GTS?

it has a 7950GT in right now, and i swear that there is the necessary 11mm clearance between vid-card and optical drive, if only because the VGA power comes of the top of the 8800 series cards, not the back like the older 79x0 series.

Ya, it will be fine. All mATX cases are going to have at least 244mm clearance for fat body mobos and the length is the same as the ATi top-o-the-line cards - just short of that.

Thanks, man. Updated. Compared to a normal card that's about 22mm too tall.

I can no longer easily fit the spreadsheet on one page, so you guys are going to have to download it.

Ya, it will be fine. All mATX cases are going to have at least 244mm clearance for fat body mobos and the length is the same as the ATi top-o-the-line cards - just short of that.

hi,

is your reply above in response to my question about the LC16-M?

i ask because the LC16-M is not a mATX case, and th limiting factor is the centrally mounted optical drive rather than generic motherboard dimensions.

it would be ace if i could fit an 8800GTS in the case. :D

regards

Will a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro fit inside one of the Q-XPack cases?
I am going to say yes, but you will have to cut the bracket.

hi,

is your reply above in response to my question about the LC16-M?

i ask because the LC16-M is not a mATX case, and th limiting factor is the centrally mounted optical drive rather than generic motherboard dimensions.

it would be ace if i could fit an 8800GTS in the case. :D

regards
Mmm... I could not find internal pics earlier, but I can see how it hangs over. Sorry, looks like a no. You can see that the mounting holes end right at the beginning of the 5 1/4 bay, which is where the card end and leaves no room for connectors.

A while back I got a Zalman CNPS7700 HSF for the system in my MicroFly case. When I put it on the CPU I noticed that the HSF stuck out about a quarter to half inch too wide for the mobo tray to go inside the case.

However I was able to slide the board back in the case, then I managed to get the HSF in the gap between the case's "rails" on each side. From there I was able to put the HSF on the CPU. I don't know if it was my mobo or just the way it works on the MicroFly/Qpack. Fitting it on the CPU was a bit awkward but I was able to get it installed.

Updates coming soon for the new Nvidia 8600 series cards? (good fit for the sn25p?)

CNPS 7700 fits in SG-01 Evolution. About 1cm clearance to PSU, and 0.5cm to the right side of the casing looking from the front, so I guess it depends on socket placement. Works with F-I90HD anyways.

Cool. I believe I didn't think there was clearance on the side. Updated and added the BORB II as a probable.

Back