Will it EVER end?

Weenis

I said WEENIS, not...
Does anyone know if theres ever going to be a set standard with aspect ratio on films.. I hate how even with 16:9 TV there are those "extra wide screen" DVDs that leave you with black bars and its EXTREMELY aggravating. I've seen a couple pictures of people playing HD-DVDs on their 1080p displays and I wanted to know if its just a few rare titles, or its going to be just like dvds are now?

The 2.35:1 (scope) aspect ratio has existed since the early 70s, and even before then there were movies that used the ultra wide screen aspect ratios. This is not something that's changing a lot or in constant flux. 95% of studio movies use one of two aspect ratios, neither of which is 16:9 (but one is close). Some DVD authoring studios will crop the close to 16:9 movies to fit.

I use zoom player and if it's close to 16:9 I'll adjust the zoom / overscan to fill my 16:9 monitor / projector (dual display). For 2.35:1 if I'm using the projector I'll sometimes mask off the screen to fit so there are no visible black borders.

This wouldn't work as well for tvs and computer monitors. The only real solution for movies is a front projector with a motorized masking system. No black borders ever :)

My point is why don't they just stop shooting films in "ultra wide screen" if they know it bugs the hell out of people.

I've never noticed it but maybe I haven't seen any of these "ultra wide" movies.

So can't say it bugs me :)

2.35:1 Widescreen is advantageous for theatrical exhibition, because the entire "frame" emulates a person's vision by presenting a wider image that surrounds the viewer's field-of-view, creating a more immersive experience (Supposedly). That's the reason why so many big-budget/"epic" films are typically filmed in scope.

There's also a lot more artistry involved with a wider frame, because you have a larger palette to work with, which is another reason why a lot of directors enjoy utilizing widescreen.

I can almost say with 100% certainty that the 2.35 aspect ratio won't be going anywhere anytime soon - if anything, it's becoming more popular, really. Even comedies are filming in scope, now...

Seems that some people forget that you watch movies in theaters as well as at home :D

3D in movies will fail. Its a gimmick, nothing more, and for once, I don't agree with James Cameron.

For those complaining about 2.35:1 aspect ratio, go watch a movie at that aspect ratio on a 4:3 set. You'll beg to switch it back to a 16:9 set.

Will people ever stop complaining? :rolleyes:

Seems that some people forget that you watch movies in theaters as well as at home :D
Some people haven't been to a theater in years...a good bigscreen hdtv, upconverting dvd player and surround sound system makes waiting for the dvd to be released a better option than waiting in lines and sitting in a sticky seat.;)

honestly i never really paid attention to the black bar while watching movies on a widescreen aspect (any aspect) screen. while watching a widescreen format movie on a 4:3 screen, then it bothers me... not enough to watch the cropped film but still.

if the black bar on a widescreen format screen bothers you so much, maybe you should pay more attention to the movie itself? or find a better movie so you become immersed enough to forget about the black bar

if the black bar on a widescreen format screen bothers you so much, maybe you should pay more attention to the movie itself? or find a better movie so you become immersed enough to forget about the black bar

Yeah, if you pay more attention to the black bars letter-boxing the movie then is there any point in actually watching it because it can't be very good.

For some reason I assume the black bar gripers to be watching Spice World. Which would explain everything.

My point is why don't they just stop shooting films in "ultra wide screen" if they know it bugs the hell out of people.

I don't like the color pink. I think painters should stop using it, because it bugs the hell out of me.

Oh come on, I think we can all agree that no black bars is better than black bars. Some standards would be nice. We've got 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4, and anything else you can think of. Its quite a mess. Then there is 720p and 1080p content not playing nicely together. Native resolutions add further complications.

To the OP: you've got a valid point, but we're introducing more formats rather than standardizing, so I wouldn't expect it to end any time in the distant future.

Oh come on, I think we can all agree that no black bars is better than black bars. Some standards would be nice. We've got 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4, and anything else you can think of. Its quite a mess. Then there is 720p and 1080p content not playing nicely together. Native resolutions add further complications.

To the OP: you've got a valid point, but we're introducing more formats rather than standardizing, so I wouldn't expect it to end any time in the distant future.

Let's not confuse the issue. You're talking about display device standardization, while the OP is talking about source material standardization. Wanting device manufacturers to standardize a single aspect ratio for TVs and monitors is not the same as wanting directors and cinematographers to pick one aspect ratio in which to shoot their movies.

I'm all for a single TV and monitor aspect ratio. Aside from being less confusing to consumers, it would make it a lot easier for manufacturers as well, since they wouldn't have so many 1:1 mapping problems when displaying 16:9 material on 16:10 monitors, for instance. But to tell movie makers that they MUST use one particular aspect ratio is a completely different thing. Film aspect ratio is as much an artistic choice for a film maker as paint color is for a painter, which is why I said what I said.

Hell yeah!

Why don't directors stop shooting movies using toned filters! I don't like them?!!?!?!?

Those morons, don't they have any brain!!! I demand banning of filters!??!?

Who do they think they are? Artists???

I demand complete control over the artistic process for my $10 ticket and a bucket of pop corn.

Really, get a clue. It's their movie. Don't watch if it hurts your brain so much.

Hell yeah!

Why don't directors stop shooting movies using toned filters! I don't like them?!!?!?!?

Those morons, don't they have any brain!!! I demand banning of filters!??!?

Who do they think they are? Artists???

I demand complete control over the artistic process for my $10 ticket and a bucket of pop corn.

Really, get a clue. It's their movie. Don't watch if it hurts your brain so much.

If you're going to be an idiot and try to mock me, then don't post? Because you're not adding anything to the thread by doing so.

My point behind it is primarily the display aspect.. I bought a 16:9 TV and a wide screen monitor to avoid the black bars, and since they create "extra" wide screen stuff it defeats the purpose, I'm not saying DON'T Film in wide aspect to hamper their creativity.. its annoying because nothing is set and this stuff constantly changes.

16:10 is probably my biggest gripe. The worst of it is when the image scales and looks like crap, when you pay a lot for a nice display, and then you don't get the full advantage of it.

IE black bars on the top and bottom of a wide screen tends to really make the image a lot smaller. I have a 32" wide screen display and when i lost like 4 inches on the top and bottom due to the other format its annoying.

It's simply annoying, point in case, once again 16:10 with my 2007wfp.. dell's website states:
The Dell™ UltraSharp™ 2007WFP 20.1-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor is a wide aspect desktop display that redefines the performance of LCD displays with a stylish Dell™ industrial design, and advanced functionality. With this monitor, you can watch DVDs in natural format, run multiple applications simultaneously and improve productivity with less scrolling and toggling.

But of course, it never says 16:10 ratio.. you'll get black bars. and anyone who says "well technically you can watch DVDs in natural format they'll just have black bars.. you know that's not what was meant. So I'm more concerned about display standardization rather than format.. It's just annoying because a lot of the time you don't see the aspect ratio on a dvd if its 2.35:1 or whatever, they simply say "widescreen" on the front.

I too would like to see more standardization of displays. Or at least, some way to make them properly "convert" different resolutions and aspects. I mean, this is the direction displays are evolving anyways. I dislike the black bars, but in all honesty, they don't bother me unless I can't comfortably see the whole film. I would take black bars over losing any of the film. I hate formatting. I hate zooming. But, if say it could"zoom" without losing quality that would be awesome, but impossible.

You can't scale something (like 640x480 as example) to 800x600 without it looking worse. The truth of the matter is, anything that isn't as high of a resolution as the display can handle, will look worse. Converting say 720p to 1080p and having it look like 1080p is an unrealistic expectation. And the same goes for ratios. You can standardize the sets, but they still have to be able to handle a "wide" range (no pun intended). So, you could either always crop your extra wide ratio down, or live with black bars. And honestly, on a 32"+ screen, I can't see fussing over tiny black bars. But, some things annoy people differently.

There are more scope format movies (2.35:1) than 1.85:1 to movies released by major motion picture studios each year. If you haven't seen one then you don't watch many movies on DVD.

As I mentioned earlier some DVD authoring houses do crop movies but otherwise there are more wider than 16:9 movies than there are close to 16:9 movies.

My point behind it is primarily the display aspect.. I bought a 16:9 TV and a wide screen monitor to avoid the black bars, and since they create "extra" wide screen stuff it defeats the purpose, I'm not saying DON'T Film in wide aspect to hamper their creativity.. its annoying because nothing is set and this stuff constantly changes.
I don't think you're aware of what your real point is, or maybe you are but you aren't aware of the implications. So before you asked why don't they stop shooting in "ultra wide screen", but now you're backtracking? It's kinda hard to hit a moving target.

16:10 is probably my biggest gripe. The worst of it is when the image scales and looks like crap, when you pay a lot for a nice display, and then you don't get the full advantage of it.

IE black bars on the top and bottom of a wide screen tends to really make the image a lot smaller. I have a 32" wide screen display and when i lost like 4 inches on the top and bottom due to the other format its annoying.
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. See, you actually ARE getting full advantage of the nice 32" widescreen display you bought. Just think how much smaller that "ultra wide screen" movie would look on, say, a 26" widescreen. The only way you can get a bigger image is to get a bigger TV, so you really are getting your money's worth out of it.

But I know, your gripe is the black bars. The only way to make a movie with a wider-than-16:9 ratio fill up your entire screen is to compromise the movie, either by zooming in, stretching it vertically, or pan-and-scanning it. If black bars are as big a problem to you as they seem, your only options are to zoom or stretch.

It's simply annoying, point in case, once again 16:10 with my 2007wfp.. dell's website states:
The Dell™ UltraSharp™ 2007WFP 20.1-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor is a wide aspect desktop display that redefines the performance of LCD displays with a stylish Dell™ industrial design, and advanced functionality. With this monitor, you can watch DVDs in natural format, run multiple applications simultaneously and improve productivity with less scrolling and toggling.

But of course, it never says 16:10 ratio.. you'll get black bars. and anyone who says "well technically you can watch DVDs in natural format they'll just have black bars.. you know that's not what was meant.
That's false advertising on Dell's part, although probably not of the legally false variety--it would be hard to make that stand up in court.

So I'm more concerned about display standardization rather than format.. It's just annoying because a lot of the time you don't see the aspect ratio on a dvd if its 2.35:1 or whatever, they simply say "widescreen" on the front.
Once again, I think you're confused about what you're really concerned with. If I understand you correctly, in your perfect scenario all movies and all display devices would have the same aspect ratio, be it 16:9, 16:10 or whatever. Well since your perfect scenario is impossible in our current world, what are you advocating as the best solution? Even if every single TV and monitor in the world were a standard ratio of 16:9, you'd still get black bars from wider aspect ratio movies. Are you waiting for the day when 16:9 will be the predominant display ratio instead of 4:3, and movie studios will pan-and-scan to 16:9 instead of 4:3? It'll happen, you know; it's just a matter of time. I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that seems to be the only option for you.

FYI, the whole thing is for folks (or theatres) that own projectors with anamorphic lenses. You select the ratio on the lense, it squishes the resolution to the proper dimensions (no cropping).

Then you adjust your motorized curtains around the image, make some popcorn, dim the lights...

Dammit... there's a HUGE untapped market for 20-30 inch motorized curtains!

That's false advertising on Dell's part, although probably not of the legally false variety--it would be hard to make that stand up in court.

Once again, I think you're confused about what you're really concerned with. If I understand you correctly, in your perfect scenario all movies and all display devices would have the same aspect ratio, be it 16:9, 16:10 or whatever. Well since your perfect scenario is impossible in our current world, what are you advocating as the best solution? Even if every single TV and monitor in the world were a standard ratio of 16:9, you'd still get black bars from wider aspect ratio movies. Are you waiting for the day when 16:9 will be the predominant display ratio instead of 4:3, and movie studios will pan-and-scan to 16:9 instead of 4:3? It'll happen, you know; it's just a matter of time. I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that seems to be the only option for you.

You make a few great points, yeah I mean I don't think its so much the ultra wide aspect that bothers me.. just so much as the constant differentiation between standards across PC/Film like the whole 16:10 vs 16:9.. I'm sure they would argue well, you get more screen because if it was 16:9 it would be pretty small vertically.. I thought 16:9 was already the predominant ratio over 4:3, I guess not.

As per the Dell thing, that really aggravated me because I didn't sit down and do the math to find it was 16:10 instead of 16:9 I was like man, having wide screen would be awesome. (since when I ordered it I was in a small dorm room so 20" seemed a good size at the time, and I figured, well hey looks to be all good with that monitor) I'd be hard pressed to believe that dell would reconcile at all though, I wouldn't mind them allowing me to swap it and trade up to like a 2407 or a 3007 :-p

Back